External mics not working on DR-40

TBar

Gear owned
Tascam DR-40
Getting into basic , easy home recording. I've been using the DR-40 for a few years with internal mics .
Recently got a couple of nice external condenser mics to up the recording quality but after trying to hook up and change basic settings on the DR-40, they will not work. What am I doing wrong? The DR-40 has phantom power, right? Do I need another piece of equipment to get this setup working? Thanks for any help!
I have a Rode NT-1000 and an AKG P170 mics.

I've used condensor and dynamic mics, with both battery power and USB power.
I can only step you through the things to check on the unit's settings, starting at "the bottom".
My unit has firmware 2.11 but I doubt that has any relevance.

Disconnect any mics. Put the Mic slide switch to the center position Mic.
Power up the DR-40. When it's ready, enter Menu > Others > System
2 Items to find: BATTERY TYPE - and PHANTOM VOLT
Battery type: NI-MH or ALKAL as appropriate to your batteries
Phantom Volt: 48V

Return to Home. Power down the DR-40

Plug in your phantom mics, don't mix phantom powered mics with other types on the inputs.
Turn on the DR-40. I don't plug in phantom mics when it's on and it's not advised by Tascam in the operating manual.
Move the slide switch to Mic + Phantom. Acknowledge the message on the screen that you want to change over to Phantom power.
Press the Rec Mode button (above the Record button)
For now put the Rec Mode to Stereo and check the Source is some variation of External.

That should be you ready to return to Home and press the Record button to get into monitoring mode. Press the 1/2 Solo button to reveal the level settings and adjust to get readings.

Unless the part of the unit that operates phantom power has been fried at some point, I think that should work.
An earlier post of mine lists the power consumption difference from no phantom to phantom. Personally I can't go long on only battery power if phantom mics are hooked up.
I'm often recording 2 hour gigs so I now use a USB wall adapter for power but still have batteries installed so the menus are available no matter what.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.