Family or Friends Reactions to the Songs You Created

Slugworth

Veteran
Gear owned
DP-008EX
Just wondering what sort of reactions you get from others when you share your originals with them?

If it's friends/family, usually it's in your favour :) but it raises some interesting (maybe) points so apologies for the long post.
I've always believed that whether a song is 'good' depends as much on the listener (& their place & time) as the music itself, so it will always be difficult to judge before releasing something.

I've found if you play one of your songs to a friend/relative and they know it's one of yours, they will listen to it with different expectations than if they heard a commercial song for the first time. Typically with yours, they'll offer suggestions to improve it, like adding more bass, emphasising the vocals, re-arranging parts etc. But if they hear a song they don't like but subconsciously know is finished, as with a commercial song, they'll say things like "it'll grow on me" (especially if they're a fan of the artist anyway)... and usually repetitive playing makes a lot of things more likeable. I've often wondered if I told them the song was from an album by someone else (i.e. implying it's a fait accompli), would their comments be different?

I think a lot of it also depends on being in the right place at the right time; look at the popularity of some covers where they've stripped back the production to the bare minimum - one that springs to mind is Mad World. I don't know for sure but I wouldn't be surprised if the original demo was similar to this, but electronics was all the rage then so it was 'enhanced' into a synth-orientated song - still great mind you :) ... but years later someone strips it back and comes up with a truly haunting version, and yet it's the same song!

So it all seems to be tied up with psychology and the listener's memories/perceptions.
I've never been impressed with my songs - they've been sat in 'demo' form for decades, but I accidentally played one the other day (it was in a collection of misc music on random shuffle), and my first thought was "that sounds pretty good, wonder who did it?"... and then realise - doh!

Reactions: shredd
Mad World
Great call-out. I actually do a super-mellow, Adam-Lambert-style version of this w/just voice & finger-picked acoustic. It's nice.

I haveta agree with @Phil Tipping's general gist: when they know it's yours, they're typically pretty tolerant/approving; I personally never get suggestions as to the production or content (although I'm often asked why I do so many instrumentals - the answer is "because my lyrics suck like an airplane toilet", though I usually claim "an old war wound"...:p).

To be honest, I think after an initial "sounds great", that's all that's said - and probably the last/only time they'll listen to it. I'm not Alan Parsons or anything, but I have done some OK stuff - decent originals, and some pretty well-produced covers...:rolleyes:

Big picture: I think your friends and family are more likely to be approving/supportive, unless THEY happen to be capable musicians, and then might be offering critique...
My originals (going back 20 years, to when I sat on the couch w/a cheap acoustic and a $79 Fostex) and covers are at my SoundClick and y/tube (links in signature). Would be happy to hear from any of youse guyz about whatcha think. Be nice.;)

Last edited:
My wife cannot name a single tune I've written. I honestly couldn't care less.

Reactions: Logrinn
My wife cannot name a single tune I've written. I honestly couldn't care less
Count your blessings. Most of the people I share songs with don’t even listen to them!o_O

The only exception is songs I’ve recorded as tributes to lost beloved ones (all covers)…

I've emailed my immediate family a few of my recordings over the past couple months, but not much response from them. My wife said she likes some of them. I ask them to please wear headphones when listening and to not expect anywhere near professional recording quality.

I was glad that my two original bands jam at my house so mum could hear us before she died. Just before she went she told me she was glad her son plays music that is of a high quality and with quality bandmates. Apart from that, I only care what fellow musicians think as they will be critical, sometimes too much so lol. And the punters, of course, if a song we don't love goes down well we keep it in.

Reactions: -mjk-

New threads

Members online

No members online now.