FireWire with Windows 10

Jerome Williams

Veteran
Gear owned
DM3200
I recently got a FireWire card to use with the DM3200. It works flawlessly with my Mac. I’m running High Sierra. Because Apple is going to discontinue support for my Mac, I have a PC running Windows 10 that I can’t seem to figure how to get the DM3200 and FireWire going. I was able to get it temporarily after installing Windows 10 2004 upgrade but it was too unstable. When I did, I loaded ProTools but it wouldn’t allow more that 8 channela HUI. It didn’t recognize remote port 1 and 2 of the DM 3200 like ProTools, Logic or Mixbus. Can anyone help. I’m really in need of help. Thank you so much for reaching out.

Last edited:
Hey Jerome, sorry you are having issues.
First off, I'm a little unclear as to the specifics of your situation on Windows 10: You mentioned Firewire and HUI in your post, neither of which has anything to do with the other. HUI and/or Mackie interface on these consoles is transmitted via USB 1.1, not via FW. So, if you could add a little more detail, I'll try to give you a hand.

Jack

Hi Jack
Thank you for your response.
I have the driver loaded, you can see it in the the install/remove menu . When I click on it, it says no version of FireWire. Does the DM have to be connected when installing the driver. I think I need to go one step at a time. It’s not showing up in the audio options. On DM 3200 , it says offline.

Last edited:
@Jerome Williams Are you using Tascam's TCM Companion when updating your firmware and / or verifying your connection?

I can’t load it. Windows gives me a Administrator’s block warning. I can’t figure out how to remove it. I turned off all security and still the same problem

How about providing us with the specific error message. It could help

Yeah!!! I did an update and I see everything, TMCompanion and FireWire is installed and working. Can you walk through the update please. Thank you for being patient

Windows has an update to Windows 10 from 1909 to 2004. They say it has issues but it’s the only way I can get everything installed. I can hear everything playing though the DM,inputs, the internet. But I am still unsure how to map the DM3200 to ProTools to control the faders, mute, etc.
. I really need help just setting up Protools. I am using an external keyboard contoller to control VST and external modules going into a Midiman 2x2 usb. In the set up I can only add 8 channels but it doesn't show up in the DM at all. I will take pictures and load them once I figure out the Imgur again

Last edited:
Anyone knows how to link the DM3200 to ProTools 12 that can give some input. I’d be most grateful

Last edited:
Hello again Jerome, looks like you've made progress.
You're going to be using HUI Emulation carried through the embedded MIDI Channels 5,6, and 7 via the DM3200 USB interface. You'll have to set up the MIDI I/O in the Remote section of the console, then via Peripherals in Pro Tools. Find Remote Operation in your DM manual, and then Peripherals in PT 12's manual for more specifics.

@J L Bowie If my memory serves me right, the DM3200 uses Channels 5 / 6 only. Ports 5,6, and 7 are used with the DM4800.

Thank you both.
I‘ve already had it in use with the Mac. I’m guessing I wouldn’t have to change anything in the DM3200. Correct me if I’m wrong.
Would there be a need for the midi out on the DM3200 if I don’t plan on using it to control efx, etc. in ProTools?

@J L Bowie If my memory serves me right, the DM3200 uses Channels 5 / 6 only. Ports 5,6, and 7 are used with the DM4800.
You are indeed correct, Peter, an obvious oversight on my part. Thanks for the correction.
And to Jerome, regarding the physical MIDI I/O on the DM and the FW Card, if you're not using them for auxiliary controllers, then you only need the USB MIDI Interface as discussed.
Also, everything should still be good to go with respect to settings on the DM for Pro Tools control from previous use with the MAC as you surmised.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerome Williams
I UP AND RUNNING!!!!!
Whew! That was a marathon. Lol . I have ProTools running and Mixbus. Now to figure out Studio One. You all have been so helpful. I got Studio one but it’s a little crazy. At least I can use 8 channels at a time. I really appreciate all you guys help and input. Now off to make music...blessings to you all!

Reactions: -mjk- and Arjan P

New threads

Members online

No members online now.