Formatting a 64GB SD Card

Phil Studdart

Gear owned
Tascam DP-004
Hel card to work. I have lo, I have previously used 32GB cards in my DP-004, but cannot get a 64GB to work.

Can anyone tell me:
  • Will a 64GB card work in this device?
  • How to format it

Thanks

Phil

I'm a hard headed stubborn one at times, I had to try it, well, since it took about 5-6 hours to format my 32 gig. SDHC card I thought maybe it would take longer for a 64 gig. SDXC ... Hum ! I gave up after 16 hours, the progression line went up about 1/4 of an inch. ... ... So, I agree, it does not work with a 64 gig. SDXC. But sincerely a 32 gig. is plenty enough, if not simply make a back up into the computer.

Reactions: -mjk-
Well hats off to you for your patience Remi :) but from my albeit limited experience, the differences between SDXC and SDHC cards is non-trivial so if the manual doesn't mention SDXC explicitly, they are unlikely to work simply because they weren't around when the machine was designed... which seems to be a common presumption.

If the device uses a standard file system such as FAT32 (as does the DP-004 and DP-24/32), there will be 32GB limits associated with that, but even if it uses its own file system, handling the huge increase in the number of blocks on the card would require either increasing the internal blocksize, or changing 32-bit variables to 64-bit ones, either of which may compromise the machine's design requirements re. internal ram and speed.

There have been some reports of large cards 'working', but beware that fake cards can trick the system into thinking the card is bigger than it is.

Reactions: Remi Lacroix
I recall that even Tascam mistakenly listed a 64GB card on their list of approved cards for the DP-24/32. So even they are confused sometimes!

New threads

Members online

No members online now.