FW-1082 as a controller on newer 64bit machines?

goodflow

From
NC USA
Website
www.silver-machine.net
Gear owned
DM-4800, DM-3200, US-1800
I know there is no hope for using this thing as an audio interface (nor do I need it for such), but I'm wondering if it would be possible to use one of these as a 9-fader control surface for Cubase 8 on an up to date Mac Pro? I live about 30 minutes away from my DM-4800 and would like to have at least a motorized 8-fader bank for when I'm tweaking mixes at home. Most commercial solutions come with pretty silly prices ($300-1200, might as well buy another DM!) but I can pick one of these up for $100 locally. I noticed it has MIDI connections on the back- could it be as simple as plugging in a MIDI-USB cable and doing a bit of configuration? I have zero experience with this machine so please point out of I'm missing anything obvious, I just feel like this is way too cool of a machine to have reached EOL!

A few other leads I've found combing various online forums (a challenge since most conversations seem focused on getting this thing to work as a 64 bit interface):

This person has gotten it to work as a FW MIDI controller over ethernet by using an older computer as the host- not the most elegant solution, but relevant to this thread: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5265448

I read through the manual and it seems pretty clear that it'll send MIDI commands to my computer, but less clear whether it'll receive MIDI commands through a method other than FireWire (the manual having been written with the assumption of a functional FireWire connection). http://tascam.com/content/downloads/products/228/fw1082_manual_web_1_00.pdf

Trying to do the same thing in Ableton! The fw card in my fw1884 just bit the dust so I am trying to map it to control ableton in midi control mode. As you said I have had no prob getting it to control ableton but I cant seem to figure out if ableton can control it? ie motorized faders move when the on-screen faders move. I am still digging so I will let you know if I find any answers

Any luck with this?

FW-1082 works fine on windows 10 64 bits and Cubase 5 using the "legacy" firewire Windows driver.

I don't know if the control panel works on last 64 bits Mac's, the last driver seems to be for 32 bits systems only.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.