FW-1884/FE-8 updates/mods

EarWax

Gear owned
FW-1884, FE-8, MH-8
I finally got around to modding/updating my 2 FW-1884's.

One is a very early model that doesn't have any of the Technical Information updates.
On this one, I did:
0340 - Eliminating bus power on firewire - This involves removing 3 components by the firewire ports.
0341r - No Boot with STOP LED Lighting - This involves adding some jumper wires to an IC and cutting 2 traces on the main board.
0405 - MIC Input Operational Amplifier - This involves adding 16 1SS133 diodes to the mic input opamps.
0606 - Low Temperature - this involves changing 2 SMT electrolytic caps to ceramic on the firewire signal lines.

The other one is a later model that only needed 0606.

The main thing I noticed is that both units now connect to the PC the first time, every time regardless of temperature or how long they have been on. Prior to the update, it would always take 5-10 minutes before it would connect to the PC. It is now significantly cooler in my studio than it was over the summer so I think it's safe to say this mod really works. Great news. Fortunately, the caps are easy to get to and not surrounded with other components. I removed the originals with 2 soldering irons, one for each lead. I was going to try the twist off method but I had visions of the pads lifing off the board so I played it safe.

The other 3 mods are precautionary and don't affect performance.

There was a one "gotcha" that I did not anticipate. When I connected my 2 FE-8's, I had connection problems again. After about 10 minutes, they would connect just fine. Then it occurred to me that maybe the FE-8's have the same firewire circuit as the 1884. So I took one apart and sure enough, it is virtually identical to the 1884. There are two 1uF/50V electrolytic capacitors right by the firewire ports and they even have the same numbers as the 1884, C57 and C58. The only difference is that the board layout is slightly different. Tom at Deering Amps has a pic of a later FE-8 main board on his site and it has ceramic caps in C57/C58 so it seems clear that the FE-8 needs the mod also. My FE-8's already had 0340 and 0341r updates performed from the factory. It's strange that the Technical Information bulletins don't mention the FE-8. So if anyone who has both the FW-1884 and FE-8 and is planning on updating, plan on doing both devices.

signed up to the forum for this !

I have a blown channel, and would love to mod the board.
I got an iron & patience, can I improve/mod mine ?

how can i spot the older/newer models?
why were these mods chosen ?
Is there more mods to come?
what were the precautionary mods?

New threads

Staff online

Members online