fw-1884 preamp issue

John Dullebawn

Gear owned
fw-1884
OK I recently bought a fw-1884 off ebay, low serial number 0021020. Preamps 1-4 seem to be fine nice gain stage and quiet. However preamps 5-8 have issues. Preamps 5 and 7 have a weird gain issue, at moderate input level it shows no signal, then as I speak louder and louder in the mic it shows signal at a clip level and a standard "clipped" distortion sound will be routed to outputs. Preamps 6 and 8 will show no input no matter how high the input level is. Phantom power is off and I have the mic/line settings correct. Now the real issue is the fw-1884 unit was delivered fast, but the firewire card took forever to come, so I could not test the unit in a timely manner. I do not have alot of time to figure out if the preamps are shot or if something else is going on as I need to respond to the seller and let him know if this is working properly or not. Any timely help would be very greatly appreciated as time is an issue for me at this. Thankyou for you time.

A quick edit, I know about the phantom power issues with the low serials on this unit, so I tried to turn it on and back off with the bad channels and good channels and see if anything stood out, I noticed something. On channels 1-4 when I turn phantom on and off all 4 channels show signal quick as its turned off and on. On channels 5-8 only channels 5 and 7 show signal on phantom power on and off, they also show peak light when its turned off and on. Thanks

Last edited:

New threads

Members online

No members online now.