Gen1 x48 turned into x48mkII - and dead motherboard resolved

Hello. I've finally decided to sell my X48 which I used once and which sat for a very long time but am still having hardware problems. First problem after sitting a few years ago was the bum power supply which I replaced. And now more recently after sitting again, I got the failure to load message and all the channels turned to the flashing red and after reading all everywhere it's got to be the motherboard. I took it to a so called local official TASCAM repair facility who had it for 4 months and was stymied and simply wanted to replace the motherboard with another $450 Iwill board, so now I have it back (all taken apart and in pieces) and followed the advice here and picked up a used Intel D525 MW; but now that I have it, it looks totally different than my Iwill and I'm not sure about how to make the connections since it's much smaller and doesn't have the same connections as does the Iwill. Anyone help or guide in this regard? Any additional pics would also help. Thnx

Hey guys, Like manji24m in dealing with the X-48 to X-48MKII, I am having the same problem trying to locate the driver for the PCI Device, but I also can't find the driver for the SaneWave PCI 9056 Board. I checked the Hard drive, and Tascam CD for the driver info. but with no luck. I made all the other upgrades fine so far, monitor displays tracks and info correctly. I am using the D525MW motherboard, and have followed the instructions from above. I am using a new SSD hard drive though. The front panel flahes red lights because host is not found, but the computer itself loads up with Tascam X-48 MKII (version 2.00) displaying on the monitor. The Internal sample rate is not highlighted on the monitor, but it could be because I don't have all the drivers installed. I currently have another X-48 MKII but wanted to update my older X-48. I'm new to the forum, but any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hey guys, I successfully finished the setup and all is working well!
The problem wasn't the driver as the X-48mkll restore dvd takes care of it. The problem was the two cables (coming from the midi/time code circuit board) are doubled up and terminated in the ONE molex style box connector, needed to be plugged in at the front panel connector on the D525 circuit board. All is well!...and life is good! Note: I ended up using a small reciprocating saw to make the cut out on the metal chassis...,worked cleanly and fast. Make sure the other electrical components are removed and vacuum instead of blowing air to prevent micro metal chips from causing problems later. Actually, a fun installation!

Well....I have been using the X48 to do some live show recordings and it has been pretty reliable. I have had it hooked up to Mackie dXb 200, rebuilding that console and lo and behold, today, it has decided not to boot again. It may be time to do the MB trick... Flapsreed, I may be hitting you up for advice. I swear this machine hates me. I got things breaking faster than I can fix them.

Hey Scott, I would be happy to help. Running the X-48mkll from the mixer board with the RS-422 9 pin Dsub connector cable works great. Only issue like stated early in this thread is the MIDI In/Out for time code and machine control. Not sure why it's not working...anyone else have this issue?..and how you resolved? I will retrace my steps to see if I missed something. Besides this, it is well worth the upgrade to the mkll version. I do have some photos of the upgrade and happy to share.

Hey Scott, I would be happy to help. Running the X-48mkll from the mixer board with the RS-422 9 pin Dsub connector cable works great. The only issue I have is I can't sync with another X-48 or other devices because the midi In/Out are not working after the upgrade. Not sure why it's not working...anyone else have this issue?..and how you resolved? Besides this, it is well worth the upgrade to the mkll version. I do have some photos of the upgrade and happy to share.Original X48 Modified.jpg IMG_0866.jpg

Thanks for the pics..... I absolutely have to have MMC/MTC working on this thing. Automation is key on this box or I have to figure a different path. Once I get going on this, I’ll let you know how it goes.

Hey Scott
I retraced my connections and found my midi cable not fully connected. The MMC/MTC is working!
In my setup, I’m running two X-48mkll machines synced together with the DM-4800 controlling the transport of each machine (RS-422 to remote in on one x-48, and GPI to the other x-48 remote in.). The X-48 is also passing time code to the DAW (iMac with Digital Performer) via Motu Express (Midi in’s and outs) and all transports synced together. Sample rate of 96khz.
I also have a second mixer (DM-3200) which I’m gettin time code from the x-48 1/4” phone plug out to the RCA phono “Time Code” input on the DM-3200. I’m using the TDIF connections (24) to the second X-48. I also have a Mac Pro with Digital Performer installed.
Both the DM-4800 and DM-3200 have the FireWire cards so the iMac has a FireWire port and the Mac Pro has thunderbolt which is achieved by FireWire to thunderbolt cable that Apple sells.
So, I have the DM-4800 transport controlling two X-48mkll machines and two DAWs (Digital Performer in each) all synced together with an ART clock giving all 96khz sample rate. Really spreads out the CPU usage. Some fun!

Good Lord, what are you doing with that setup? It sounds fantastic just reading the description!

Hey Scott
I retraced my connections and found my midi cable not fully connected. The MMC/MTC is working!
In my setup, I’m running two X-48mkll machines synced together with the DM-4800 controlling the transport of each machine (RS-422 to remote in on one x-48, and GPI to the other x-48 remote in.). The X-48 is also passing time code to the DAW (iMac with Digital Performer) via Motu Express (Midi in’s and outs) and all transports synced together. Sample rate of 96khz.
I also have a second mixer (DM-3200) which I’m gettin time code from the x-48 1/4” phone plug out to the RCA phono “Time Code” input on the DM-3200. I’m using the TDIF connections (24) to the second X-48. I also have a Mac Pro with Digital Performer installed.
Both the DM-4800 and DM-3200 have the FireWire cards so the iMac has a FireWire port and the Mac Pro has thunderbolt which is achieved by FireWire to thunderbolt cable that Apple sells.
So, I have the DM-4800 transport controlling two X-48mkll machines and two DAWs (Digital Performer in each) all synced together with an ART clock giving all 96khz sample rate. Really spreads out the CPU usage. Some fun!

Holy smoke man, that is the ultimate rig. I am trying something much simpler. I got the MB in now just trying to find time to rebuild then X48. Hopefully, it will all go smoothly. I got my dXb to fire off the HDR I still have with an old MOTU Micro Express. I am guessing the X48 would have worked as well before it ate itself with MB failure. My dxb has a firewire card as well, so I may try and run ProTools via a MAC and Firewire. as well as the X48... so many possibillities.

You will be happy with the upgraded MB. Your setup should work great with Pro tools. I also upgraded the internal hard drive to a SSD. Smaller and more memory. Use the X-48mkll restore dvd and your back in business.

Reactions: -mjk-
Okay, so i see whats going on here..

The tascam unit only uses proprietary hardware so using closely matching or identical hardware is probably crucial. it will probably only work with other CPU's because its dependent on the rest of the parts... sounds like the only likely board is the Intel D525MW board. if planning to make it an MKII without modifying the code. The software seems extremely light anyway since it can run 48t tracks at 192k..That's unheard of for anything back then, even cakewalk and protools would drag or not function at that width, even today a lot of PC would lag , not to mention all the FX.... so it may be optimized for that hardware,.. no big deal... at least you know it will run great as long as you keep it cool.. fan-less is actually a brilliant way to go guy! all by chance it seems too. however there may be a way to upgrade the CPU on the board to the fastest one in that socket , if its not already that CPU in the board. . Anyone know the max ram on these boards? 4? if so that should be more than enough since its designed on only 512MB from the factory... I may just do this... I have a MKI with a working board in MINT condition but i want to upgrade it to the highest specs... i may save it as backup or sell it and then upgrade this one into an MKII ,, so looks like all you need is this ataom board and the MKII install software? ... cool. I think ill get it started today... F the LGA and other upgrades... Thanks guys!

OK, my X-48 just died (right in the middle of a session) It was my Hard drive that died so I ordered a new one. I did notice that the 5v on my PSU was a bit low (4.78v) that is a bit low but it's working with the old drive back in. Question for those who've been here. 1. Has anyone found a PSU that fits this case and if so which one? and 2. Can I install the MKii system as an upgrade or should I stay with my first gen. restore disk? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hey Scott, I would be happy to help. Running the X-48mkll from the mixer board with the RS-422 9 pin Dsub connector cable works great. Only issue like stated early in this thread is the MIDI In/Out for time code and machine control. Not sure why it's not working...anyone else have this issue?..and how you resolved? I will retrace my steps to see if I missed something. Besides this, it is well worth the upgrade to the mkll version. I do have some photos of the upgrade and happy to share.

Flapsreed, hope you are still out there. I am just getting around to rebuilding this thing. I am trying to see how you connect your DVD-R to the Atom 525 motherboard? It is an IDE device with the associated multi-pin ribbon cable with no where to connect on the MB. I am confused. What was your work around? I know there are IDE to SATA converters, did you go that route?

Last edited:
Hey,

I am in the process of hopefully turning a non working X48 into a MKII. I will be using this forum for the help. Removed the lower back rear for the dead power supply and for the iWill motherboard. Both will be swapped out and hopefully restored following whatever instructions I can gleam from this and any other forums I can find. I picked up my X48 super cheap, reset the BIOS and it worked. But I did most of my work with 2 Mackie HDRs and just left the Tascam sitting, but plugged in for 2 years. But as i've been reading about how much further the MKII is, and owner of refurbished Mackie DXBs, also made by SANEWAVE, the time is right...

Hello all! Have been watching this thread and other X48 threads for a while now. I had my X48n Mk 1 motherboard re-capped a number of years ago but the guy only did the obvious bigger caps and now I have more dead caps. Doing some of the research about this upgrade option with a newer MB. The mechanical end of the task I am fine for but the installing drivers and other PC type stuff is somewhat over my head so a little scared to get into some huge time waster.... but still curious. Is this the MB that could work?

Thanks all, love the attitude here!!!

https://www.ebay.com/c/1007578702

Robin Easton
Ratspace Recording Toronto

The D525MW works well, have to modify the mounting a bit though. I also upgraded it to MKII software and it runs perfectly.

Wow, thanks for getting back to me. How difficult would you rate the software and BIOS config and getting drivers to work etc. end of the process? I really don't know anything about that stuff. I am an audio guy, and I am fine with the mounting issues, drilling holes and installing stand-offs etc.. But I am terrified at the prospect of some PC computing morass of vocabulary and processes that are completely unfamiliar..... I have spent my life teaching myself stuff in order to make my gear work but at this point I cannot take on some new field of study! haha

thanks again for keeping the thread alive!!!

Robin

Just got my X48 back from a computer store. The dreaded power supply died. It was much cheaper to changed the motherboard to the recommended one for the MKII. But so far, I noticed it does not recognize a flash drive with audio on it at all. A call to the repair shop tomorrow to see if there is a problem with that.

But if anybody out there has a MKII startup disc to share, sell, if that is how it works, please contact me. If I can't get this to work then I am fine with my 2 Mackie HDRs. They work and have not failed me in 12 years.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.