Headphone distortion when monitoring DR-40

Just trying to keep it simple...

All things being equal (never true, of course with audio gear :rolleyes:),
headphones between 100 and 300 ohms should be an easy load for the DR-40’s output amp, and should minimize frequency response irregularities.

Of course, some headphones have higher sensitivity than others (more dB for a given mW output), but with 20 mW available, the DR-40 should be able to make plenty of noise with most phones!

Last edited:
The overriding problem with a headphone out that is lacking in bandwidth and power is that, while it will tell you "you're getting a signal", it will not give you any idea about, say, low-freq rumble on-location...you are just getting a mid-range, underpowered representation of "reality" in front of the mics, which can be very deceptive, depending on circumstances.
Hence my suggestion of using a small rechargeable, better-quality headphone amp attached to the recorder. In my case, the amp is fed by the Line Out of the Tascam.

I "re-discovered" this review of the DR-40 by Mike Rivers who has been published many times on all things audio.

Headphones and line outputs share an unbalanced mini jack. Maximum output voltage into a line input (10 kΩ or higher) is 1.5 Vrms (+6 dBu), a bit on the skimpy side for connecting to pro gear. 60 to 100 ohms seem to be the optimum headphone load, providing a maximum of about 15 mW at under 0.1% THD and adequate volume with most headphones.
You might want to read the full review plus find other gear of interest by starting at this URL
https://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com/product-reviews/

Reactions: Geoffrey Kolbe

New threads

Members online