HELP! DP 32- SD card "Sys file error"

Jarrod Roth

Greetings-
I have a DP 32. I am getting a "file error" message when I try to load some songs on a particular card.
I have saved have saved all of the folders on the card to my PC- all of the wav files save a few corrupted on one song (now deleted) are present and play in Windows Media Player.
The issue started with a couple of retakes on a song which ended up as just loud static. I shut down the DP 32 and restarted and got the error message "Invalid Sys file". At this point trying to load any previous recorded data resulted in the file error message.
I saved the card data, reformatted and loaded back the folders and data- no dice. I formatted a new card and loaded the previous folders and data- same deal- file error.
I did create a new song (after formatting) which does load successfully on both cards, so I am thinking perhaps the song system files are corrupt.
If it's impossible to fix the songs as is, I'd like to know if there's a method to load the wav/zz files of the songs to new songs and have the files in sync along with the metronome

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks!

Hello Jarrod -

Welcome to the forum.

Since you didn't mention it in your post - let me first ask:

1) Have you upgraded to the latest firmware for you particular model? And....

2) Have you confirmed that you are using SD card(s) that are on the Tascam "approved list"?

These two above steps are more or less *critical* in terms of checking off the troubleshooting list.

If you haven't satisfied those to steps - start with the firmware upgrade (for *your* model), then make sure you are using a Tascam approved SD card, then run a full format on that card after you have upgraded the firmware.

(If you have satisfied those conditions the please confirm.;):) )

If still having trouble - come on back and someone here can probably point you in the right direction.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark Richards
What David said.

Also, the Equipment Tips sticky has several posts dealing with the issue you're having. You're very likely to find the information you need there.

My best guess is the same as David's: you have outdated firmware and/or an unapproved-by-TASCAM SD card.

Last edited:
Hi-
I ran the FW update (1.12). The card I initially used came with the machine (bought used) and worked fine for a while, however it is a micro SanDisk which I'm certain is not on the approved list. The error occurred after doing heavy re-takes and undo procedures which may have been the culprit.
I have new cards that don't exactly match the approved list but are pretty close- they are
SanDisk Extreme Pro SDHC UHS-I #SDSDXXG-032G-GN4IN.
The song files still fail to load (file error) with the exception of one song with no tracks visible.
Let me know if the card listed above is suitable and if you know of any way to salvage the songs as-is or if I'm better off loading from Audio Depot on a track by track basis.

Thanks!

The post in the Equipment Tips sticky indicates that part of the number that matters and that the last 5 characters clearly are region/country indicators.

If you've restored the complete Song Folder to the newly formatted approved SD card and the song still fails to load, then the posts in the Equipment Tips sticky are the only known solution for recovering the song's proprietary zz files.

If editable.sys or song.sys have been corrupted, unfortunately you're out of luck.

Last edited:
Do you know whether the SanDisk SDSDXXG cards work? They don't appear on the approved list, however Amazon notes that they are an updated version of the SDSDXP1 card.

Thanks-

J. Roth

Last edited:
No problem reading the sticky, however I noticed a post regarding the WD acquisition of SanDisk. The post details how to interpret SanDisk serial numbers; featured in the post are pictures of two SanDisk cards, one of them being the SDSDXXG model. I was hopeful that perhaps the **XXG model will work as I have had some difficulty in finding other approved cards available for the DP 32; the XXG seems somewhat plentiful.

Thanks-

The SDSDXXG is featured in the post (#38) because as you noted, it's an update of previously approved SD cards (the SDSDXP1; and the SDSDXPA shown in the post). At the time the post was made (Mar 2019) and since we've had no reports of any problems with the SDSDXXG card. I have 7 of them.

We'll update ET post #38 to add clarity about the SDSDXXG.

Last edited:

New threads

Members online