Help with a Tascam 38 Reel to Reel machine

hanko

Gear owned
tascam 38
Hi everyone. This is my first post, so please forgive me if I am posting in the wrong area, or for any other slight that I may inadvertently display.

I was wondering if someone could help me out with a problem I am having with my Tascam 38. I have had it opened up, closed back up, opened up again, closed back up, etc. many times, trying to get it up to task. I have cleaned the motors, changed the capstan belt, and I had it recording and playing back and sounding quite good. Of course, I had to go inside one more time for something, and when I got it back together, I ended up losing my ff and rewind (nothing happens when I hit either button, even with no tape on it and the brakes slacked off). In this time, everything else on the transport still worked. Upon trying to find the problem, I ended up losing my whole transport. When I hit any button...nothing. No sound, no nothing.

Lastly, when I put the face plate back on the last time before it all stopped working, I though I saw something arc at the wiring harness connection to the transport when I plugged it in (the unit was not powered up). So, I was wondering if someone else has had a similar experience and could maybe point me in the right direction for a fix. Also, there are 10 fuses on a PCB on the back of the machine, all of which are fine. Is it common for the op amps to fail (in this case, it would probably be E519)?

I hope I was thorough enough in my explanation. I appreciate any help I can get. Thanks for your time!!

New threads

Members online