Help with external effects please

Joseph Bologna

Gear owned
Dp-32sd, 488
Hi, I'm brand new to digital recording and a DP-32. I've been using a 488 cassette deck for 30 years.
My goal is to record thru my old Alexis 3630 compressor and ART Multiverb that I'm used to using.

My dilemma right now is recording drums.
Using input A to track 1 for kick. (Don't want external effects)
Input B for snare, which I'd like to run my effects thru.
Inputs C and D for toms which I'd also like to run effects thru.

I followed instructions on another thread regarding external effects on vocals...
I get how to run the send 1 and 2 out to the effects chain and run them back in thru empty inputs (G and H)

But how do you then get that effects loop to, say, the mics you have in inputs A thru F? I'm fuzzy on assigning the inputs and effects to the same tracks.

Btw... I never learned what bussing is all about.

You cannot assign more than 1 input to a track in Multitrack mode. To do what you're describing you'd have to use Bounce mode.

I see, thanks.

So how do you run external effects to your tracks/inputs as you're recording them?

Hey Joseph -

You mentioned above that you're new to digital recording. If you haven't already - as a new user of the DP-32SD - I highly recommend that you take the time to sit through (at least some if not all) of the Phil Tipping video tutorial series which can be found at the top of the forum:

https://www.tascamforums.com/threads/dp-24-32sd-tutorial-videos.4475/

...or directly here:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLI2uGjCObnySgNrQyJmlcQpQaUdgBdW6l

These videos will give you a solid grasp on the routing possibilities as well as many of the main functions, features, and best practices for owners of these machines. Not only have many of us here benefitted greatly from Phil's efforts with these videos - but some of us have also compensated Phil for his trouble. Not mandatory - but a nice gesture as he went to quite a bit of trouble. Phil also sells a really great guide that he put together with loads of "how-to's" and other useful information.

Along with the tutorial video series at the top of the forum - you'll also find several other sticky threads there that are packed full of useful information as well as some great recording tips and tricks - all specific to your recorder!

Check that stuff out - and if you haven't found an answer to your question(s) - come on back here and ask away.

;):)

Thank you David. I've watched about half of the video series. No offense to Phil, but he's reeeeally technical.
I just want to know how to plug the effect chain in and how to tap into it with whatever input I need them on.
I think I have half of this problem solved.

I sure would like to see a good old fashioned "effect RETURN" input on this machine.

David, I followed most of your real-time help on a thread with Doodle46 regarding this subject but got lost at the "bussing" part.

I'm not sure what to say - or exactly how to help. Understanding what the machine is capable of - and what it's not capable of - is really important. There's no short cuts.

Regarding: sure would like to see a good old fashioned "effect RETURN"

Me too... but: caveat emptor. It is what it is. The 8 inputs are the returns - and that's what you've got to work with.

Probably - your best bet - if I understand what it is that you're trying to do - is to record all of your drums dry. Now you've got them captured. Now - each one of these recorded drum tracks - by itself or in groupings - can be sent out of either send 1, or send 2, or both.... through whatever external effects of your choosing - and then back to any of your available 8 inputs (assigned to whichever unused open tracks). Even if you have to do them one at a time - it's doable.

Follow?

Reactions: -mjk-
I how do you run external effects to your tracks/inputs as you're recording them?
Short answer: you can't bring the FX back on the original Track with the dry signal because the Send Out to your FX has to come back in on a spare Input, and that Input has to go on a different Track.

You have to find a work-around.
  • That's why mj suggested working in Bounce mode, where the Selected Track signal and the Selected Input signal can both go to the Bounce track at the same time.
  • David's suggestion is another option.
  • A third is to do what professionals do: record dry and add external FX as described in the Equipment Tips sticky.
  • Or you could plug the drum signal into the external FX gear and bring that dry/wet signal into an Input and Assign it to a Track.
There are more complex ways too, like Bouncing a submix; or Mixdown of the drums to a Stereo Master and bringing that back in through Audio Depot; ... (is your head spinning yet):)
reeeeally technical.
You are now the master of a full fledged recording studio: Multi-track Recorder / Mixing Console / a 2-track stereo recorder / and Mastering Station.

To make effective use of this tool, you'll need to begin thinking like a recording engineer. That means you'll need to understand signal flow and learn the ins & outs of the machine so you can think creatively when the machine won't do what you want it to.

The Production Tips and Equipment Tips stickies are there to get you pointed in the right direction.

The really good news is almost all of us started out at one time right where you are.;)

Last edited:
Thanks so much everyone!

Like I said, I'm getting back in after years away from the old 8 track cassette system. All I knew was plug in and play music! Lol.

One last question - when you run the effects return back into vacant inputs (say E&F) and want that effect on the Mic you have going into track A, how do you connect those two signals?

Sorry if it's a dumb question... I will go back and take the videos and advice here slowly.. Lol.

Keep in mind: The DP-24/32/SD is a 24 or 32 track Multitrack Recorder/Reproducer in Multitrack and Bounce modes; a Multitrack Reproducer and a 2-track mastering recorder in Mixdown mode; and a 2-track Recorder/Reproducer in Master mode. All modes are routed internally to the Stereo Bus and to the Monitor system.

You can *hear* the external FX while recording by raising the fader for the FX return Track if you're recording the FX Input return.

If you don't want to record the FX Input return while tracking, you can *hear* the external FX by routing the FX Input return directly to the Stereo Bus in the Assign Screen.

Joining the dry and wet signals:
  • You can bring the recorded dry Track signal and the external FX Input return wet signal together by bouncing the dry Track and the FX Input return to a new track in Bounce mode.
  • You can bring the recorded dry Track and the recorded external FX wet Track together either in Bounce mode or when you do the final mix to the stereo master in Mixdown mode.
  • You can bring the recorded dry Track and the external FX wet Input return together in Mixdown mode. The Equipment Tips sticky post #42 goes into detail on how to do this.

Last edited:
So how do you run external effects to your tracks/inputs as you're recording them?

I record the tracks dry. Then I do a mixdown of just those tracks that I want to have a certain effect on and I take that mix and import it back into the machine. Sometimes I even apply the mastering compression to smooth things out and get it sounding just the way I want in the final mix.

The way I work with the DP machine takes advantage of many of the virtual tracks for storage.

Hi all, hope you're all keeping good! I'd just like to share a little something that happened today.
Ok, stuck at home, what am I going to do? I switched the Tascam on, plugged a Tele into the guitar input, HiZ , unity. Going into Track 1. all faders down. I activated Send 2 on the Input, a guitar lead from Send out to a guitar amp, set to dirty. Little bit of processing on input. Had a little play, Ok that works nicely! I think I'll mic it up and bring it back in on 2 and record it. I stuck a condenser in front of the amp, and hit Record. Ok, rec safe, rewind, play. And before I pushed the faders up and switched the Monitors on, the Amp started playing on it's own behind me. Of course!! I forgot to deactivate Track 1 Send. ( I had a little mess about at Track level before recording, and Send 2 Pre was on) What I had inadvertently done was record the perfect clean track with all the overdriven amp playing nuances on track 1. So I then went to the the Amp and dialed in a lovely tone while it was playing back, then stuck the mic into Input 3, EQ etc, and recorded. Perfect. I moved the amp, remic'd, and repeated. Four tracks now, 2 is rubbish deleted. I tidied up 1,3 and 4 in Solo with some Eq, Insert, Pan etc, then brought them up. One nice clean guitar and two amped. Really nice. Had to leave it there.

As a guitar player this is really cool, because I wasn't thinking about recording a clean track, just listening to an overdriven amp, I sailed through it. No more having to stop while recording, repostion the mic, change amps, falling over leads. picking up and putting down guitars. I can Re-Amp, use Pedals in the chain, swap out mics whatever at any time. Yay!

Last edited:
Love it! Awesome. Thanks for sharing.

That's one of the things that has really become apparent over time... is how versatile these recorders can be if you just think outside the box (no pun intended).

Just when I think I couldn't learn anymore in terms of functionality - bam!

Reactions: -mjk-

New threads

Members online

No members online now.