Help with overdubbing tracks

bookasan

Gear owned
SX1-LE
I have used analog and tape for years and have used digital DAW's before and never really had a problem figuring things out. As I get older it seems like figuring things out just gets harder.
Anyway, a couple of years ago I got a great deal on an SX1-LE. I fired it up a few times and did some playing around with it and was able to record test tracks with no problem.
Now I have a project that I would like to do on the SX1, but I am having problems overdubbing tracks.

I recorded 2 tracks. I routed the 2 track in (CD player) in to channels 1&2 and recorded on to 17&18.
This worked fine and plays back no problem.
I then had a microphone going into channel 8 and routed to record onto track 19.
I only enabled record on track 19, but I am not hearing playback of the first 2 tracks and they are being recorded over. I double checked and the only track enabled for record is the mic on 19.

I have recorded multiple tracks before when I was testing it out and can not for the life of me figure out what I am doing wrong this time.

go to the Routing Page and make sure that you have it configured correctly...strange things occur when you change destinations/routing...1-17 2-18 3-19 etc. will set up basically automatically, but when you change it to 8-19 it messes up the other tracks...I used Mixer Bypass, so I never had any issues...I had my mics/outboard gear routed to Insert 10 and I would just use: Bypass 10- Chan 17, Bypass 10-18, Bypass 10-19 and so on...it's much easier that way (if you have a mic pre)...

Thanks. It wasn't working even when using the straight forward routing. I ended up deleting the project, restarted, and opened a new project. This time it worked fine with the straight forward routing. I did not try changing the destinations, but I thought the routing on the SX1 was very flexible and would be able to handle that. The machine was doing some other funky things and the last power on off seemed to fix them all. One of the pan center LED's was not lighting and I thought it was bad as it has been that way for a while. My keyboard and on board data entry stopped working. Both issues are now working fine.
Finicky little machine!

the SX is certainly a quirky machine, BUT it's also a GREAT machine!
I've had tons of issues with both my SX's and they both eventually died on me...
but, believe it or not, I'm going to purchase another one!

...I just got mine this year. I was looking for an all in 1 beast and this fulfilled my expectations in a big way. It is qwerky with the routing....but there is a preset in the project section that routs everything to the hdr properly. I set up a template for future projects and Im good to go......I did notice that it changes settings without your permission. The sound is phenomenal and the mic simulator and the speaker simulator are game changers. Being able to do my midi and audio in ONE PLACE is a dream come true. the monitor capability is a plus for me, cuz I cant see. Good luck with your machine.

New threads

Members online