Hi from old Tascam hand and a new newbie

MiamiVlad

Gear owned
will by Tascam DP24 or 32
Bought the DP-32SD . Can it be used effectively as an interface to the computer besides a recorder? What I really meant is to record to DPO-32 and the best way to transfer to computer to finish it with DAW, as well as use it as a mixer. Kind members answered it. thanks a lot

Last edited:
Hate to see a newbie have no replies. Perhaps if you had specific questions on what it can and can't do via computer interface it would be easier to answer.

Welcome. The answer is no. The USB connection can be used only for file transfer.

thank all of you for the replies, let me explore the newly bought DP-32SD so that I may pose some intelligent questions later , thanks. One thought was using it as a mixer to record to a computer DAW, thanks

Hi, and welcome to the club! You can certainly bypass the recorder section to use it just as an 8-channel live mixer. Connect the stereo outputs to your DAW and either:
a) Assign the 8 inputs to the stereo bus, then use the input trim knobs to adjust relative levels. There's also a level control for each input within the mixer screen. The 8 dynamic effects and single send effect can be also be used if reqd.
b) Assign the inputs to individual tracks, and arm them for recording (but don't actually record). The signals will bypass the sd-card and allow you to use the track faders to adjust relative levels in addition to the input trim knobs. The single track effect block can be used in addition to the effects in (a), although it will restrict the no. of dynamic effects from 8 to 2.
Have fun - you can now update your profile from "will buy dp24 or 32" :)

Phil, I took it to mean the OP wants to use it as an interface to his DAW (ala Zoom R24). He could, of course, just take the analog stereo out to his audio interface as you suggest, using it like a live mixer. But it is not an audio interface, the individual tracks will not be available as individual tracks in his DAW.

Better would be to record dry on the DP unit, EXPORT each song into the AUDIO DEPOT, move the resulting WAVs to his computer, then import them to his DAW (which is how I, and many others do it).

To the OP, it sounds harder than it really is.

Reactions: Phil Tipping
Your reply was correct Rusty - I also read the original post that way. It's just the latest question seemed to be specifically about using it as a mixer, which could be useful maybe if you haven't got a multi-track interface on the computer... but I agree, it makes more sense to import all tracks separately and process/mix everything in the DAW.

Thank you Phil and Rusty for such extensive and precise answers , fuzzy thinking( writing) on my part, You saw what I was trying to say. Yes I would of course like to export individual tracks. It seems simple enough, will report. What DAW is popular for the mac? thanks

I use REAPER, and have for several years, having first used it on Windows systems. I also use a Focusrite 6i6 interface that I rarely use for recording, but it's great for monitoring at hi-def.

thanks a lot will start building soon

New threads

Members online