How do you all handle click track output?

Hammarlund

Gear owned
Model 12
On my Model 12, I am incredibly annoyed that they didn't supply a volume pot (boo hiss) but I purchased a cheap Korg in-line volume pot and inserted it in the chain between click-out and PA. Then I can run out of my "Click plug" and easily adjust the volume without either going into menus or tying up one of my buses.

Is there a better trick?

I let my Model 12 run my drum machine via midi sync and I have a basic drum sequence there that I use instead of a click.
So I record my guitar and at the same time my drum machine with this very basic drum track to the Model 12.
After these first inital guitar and drum tracks are recorded, I turn off the drummachine and add more guitars.
When I'm happy with my guitar parts and have added as much as I want so that the song have a final structure I can then program some more "proper" drums in my drummachine and rerecord that in the Model 12 and thus replace the "clicktrack-drums".

I haven’t tried this yet, but was on my list of things to try.

Patch a cable from the click out jack back to a free track input. So that would allow you to record the click out on a track as well as modulate volume and add a bit of reverbs...

I actually like the high hat sound ...

Reactions: -mjk-
JSchmo_Bass: Yeah, I considered that too. The nice thing is that it would keep me from constantly having to turn the click on and off while recording, at least so long as I have a spare track. The downside is that being me I know for SURE I would forget sometimes, and would end up accidentally recording the click into my main mix.

Logrinn: Huh. I do have an older alesis SR-16 lying around. I may try that. I don't entirely understand how it all works though.

Following up; patch cable from click out jack to a channel in works perfectly well to capture the click in the recording, allowing full adjustment “on the board” in real time during playback.

I guess the downside of this is that it is loosing the MIDI time code aspect of the click... it’s now just an audio track.

However I haven’t figured out how to get my DAW to “receive” or see the click’s encoded tempo.... is there a way?

Not that I'm an expert, but click doesn't have an "encoded tempo", it's just a click sound. If you want tempo encoding you need to set up a MIDI clock and run a MIDI/USB cable, however that works.

I suspect any decent DAW could easily extract a tempo from a sharply defined click sound that was sitting on its own channel, but that's above my skill level.

I let my Model 12 run my drum machine via midi sync and I have a basic drum sequence there that I use instead of a click.
So I record my guitar and at the same time my drum machine with this very basic drum track to the Model 12.
After these first inital guitar and drum tracks are recorded, I turn off the drummachine and add more guitars.
When I'm happy with my guitar parts and have added as much as I want so that the song have a final structure I can then program some more "proper" drums in my drummachine and rerecord that in the Model 12 and thus replace the "clicktrack-drums".

You have described my workflow. I use a basic drum loop for time keeping and do a real programmed pass at the end of production.

Reactions: Logrinn

New threads

Members online

No members online now.