How many tracks can you record with the Mode 12?

Thomas Jackson

Gear owned
None yet
Probably a daft question but there are 8 XLR inputs, but the last 2 are stereo. Does that mean I could record 2 instruments (1 line and 1 mic) for each stereo channel and somehow split them?

Or in terms of live tracking is the 12 basically an 8 track recorder if dealing with mono sources?

I’m trying to decide whether to get the Model 12 or Zoom Livetrack L12 (boo!), which has 8 XLR plus stereo tracks so appears to have 2 more available channels even though it’s also classed as a 12 input device.

I would like to record

Kick
Snare
O/H L
O/H R
Bass
Guitar 1
Guitar 2
Vocal 1
Vocal 2
Keys (mono)

Would I need the Tascam Model 16?

you need ten inputs. If you want to make it future proof, you should look at 12 channels and up. 16 would be a good choice imho

Yeah for recording on the Model 12 you are limited to 10 tracks max in at one time. 11/12 work differently…as a 2 track main mix “sum” of some or all the other 10 channels.

But, a further limit, for Mic level signals, there are only 8 mic pre’s via XLR. To get to 10 ins at one time, then 4 of the 10 need to be line level via 1/4 inch ins to tracks 7/8 and 9/10.

This does give some flexibility however, especially if you have another small mixer or outboard preamps hanging around.

FWIW I use my M12 with my band at rehearsals as follow ;
1-DOH/L
2-DOH/R
3-Snare
4-kick
5-Bass DI
6- Guitar
7/8 keys line in (technically only need one)
9/10 stereo in for vocals line 2 line ins from a small Yamaha mixer with 4 mic pre’s

OR

1,2 Vocal Mics
3 Snare
4 Kick
5 Bass
6 Guitar
7/8 Keys
9/10 Drum OH L and R using 2 ART tube pre’s to give phantom power and turn the mic level signals to line

if you had one singer you could swap a vocal mic for a guitar no prob. Or you could use one ART pre to get a second guitar on track 8 with my first set up

OR, as BuzzBsss says, get the Model 16!

New threads

Members online