How remove XLR from combo jack?

scapmo

Gear owned
34, TSR8, 388, Model 12
I inserted an XLR plug into my Model 12 combo jack and it won't come out. There's no release tab on the jack and I can't figure out how to get the plug out.

What's the trick?

I managed to remove it with a pair of pliers by slowing rocking and edging it out.

Please tell me this isn't normal.

The XLR cable was a Planet Waves with the notch in the barrel of the male end. Is the notch the problem?

Reactions: Max Relic
In case no one else gets around to this:

No. Not normal.
We all know there's some shoddy-quality XLR's on the market...but even if they fit poorly, they should still fit. If not - don't use it.

I'm willing to bet a bag of pucks that your XLR (poorly-fitting or not) was forced into the M12's input jack - possibly out of proper position - which would've created the inability to smoothly detach it.

If you need to be reminded to not do that, call your mom and ask her about burning your hand on the stove.

@scapmo, I'm sorry for @shredd's snide comment at the end. He got off the chain again and ran away before we could stop him.

But, yes that is not normal. The notch is for indexing and I suppose with plastic jacks a bit of mis-alignment could cause it to bind. I can't recall XLR plugs getting stuck like that though. Keep and eye on it and if all the jacks are all like that you might want to take it up with Tascam Customer Service.

Out of curiosity I took a close look at the Model 12 sockets and surprise!: combo jacks (combined XLR + TRS panel sockets) are made by the CHUNSHENG brand :?:. I would have thought that Tascam used components of proven reliability such as Amphenol, Neutrik or at least Rean. No surprise that dimensional/build tolerances are so fuzzy to prevent the plug from being released. I read similar complaints about the DR-60 MkII recorder, though its XLR combos are from a different source and have a release lever (that occasionally doesn't work). My suggestion to @scapmo is to inspect the XLR plug(s) for manufacturing roughness and eventually smooth them, maybe apply an infinitesimal quantity of beeswax on that particular XLR plug to reduce friction and the tendency to entangle.

Thanks, mostly everyone, for your comments.

The XLR cable was made by Planet Waves. Not top of the line, but not exactly a cheap offbrand either.

And, no, @shredd, I didn't force it.

I'm friendly with some folks at Tascam, so I'll raise this with them. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Max Relic and -mjk-
I didn't force it
Thas' kewl...a time or two, I've had an XLR male get sort of hung up on an input cuz the 'barrel' didn't slide over the insert smoothly...but that wuz a cheep cable.
And I have had XLR female's that had a wonky release/clip thingy going on, that didn't work very smoothly...
I also wunda about the quality of the jacks that @Max Relic mentioned being a factor? Hadn't heard of this problem before...

ANYway...good luck @scapmo !

New threads

Members online