How to configure Model 12 for music lessons on Skype or Zoom?

Ivailo J

Gear owned
Tascam Model 12
See new post with same question above.

Last edited:
Why did you post the same question twice? Duplicate threads are a search nightmare. I deleted the duplicate thread and it turns out that thread had the details. I know you're anxious to get going, but it may take days or even weeks for a member to respond to a question.

OK, nevermind. Welcome to the Tascam Forums.

Now, to your question:

This setup will work for all of these types of services where they all have an input device (microphone) and an output device (speakers). You have to assign an input to the service and an output from the service, to and from your console. But, you run the risk of generating feedback because of creating a loop and this is where you have to be careful. Here is the general procedure, followed by an example:

Use a Bus to send to the service. Put whatever you want on that Bus to feed the service from the console. But, you do not put the output of that service on the Bus. Example:

Your Aux Bus feeds the input to the service, i.e. Skype, Zoom, etc..

Assign console Channel 1/2 to the Output from the Service. These channels are assigned to the Stereo Bus on the console and you listen on your monitors. These channels are not assigned to the Aux Bus feeding the service. You will be monitoring the output of the service on these channels.

All other console channels:

Whatever you want to send to the service, assign to both the Stereo Bus (so you can monitor it) and also the Aux Bus to feed the service. Everyone can hear you, and you can hear yourself because you are monitoring the Stereo Bus. The audio coming back to the console does not feed back because it does not go on the Aux Bus feeding the service.

In the broadcast world this is called a "mix minus" which means the mix, minus the "caller" or the output of the service. If you send the output back to the input by assigning those channels to the Bus feeding the service, you will really wish you hadn't done that.

Edit: You should monitor on headphones if you are using a microphone and want to monitor it. If you want to monitor on speakers, leave your microphone on the Aux Bus but take it off the Stereo Bus.

Last edited:
I was sick last week. Hence this late response.
When I posted my question, I wanted to copy the text, something went wrong and then I suddenly lost my question. That's why I posted it again. Sorry for the inconvenience MJK. I have no experience on forums.
Thank you MJK for your response to my question. I have not tested the mix minus solution yet.
The online manual of the model 12 has been updated. On page 68 it says under "Setting procedures for use with OBS
Studio and other streaming applications "a partial answer to my question. Note: this info is not in the paper manual. Channels 1 and 2 are in PC mode. All other channels are in live mode. Important is set the following "system> USB audio> stereo mix", then the main mix will be sent to channel 1 and 2 of the USB input.
But then the video conferencing program must support 2 channels of audio. I also read that skype and zoom only support 1 mono channel input. Then you should be able to output everything mono USB. Does anyone know if that is possible?
I have only tested with Skype. Microphone and bass guitar work. Bass guitar sounds very soft even at maximum gain. I want to test whether I get a better signal via the i.e. output on the bass amplifier. Strangely enough, I don't hear the stereo piano (on channel 7/8) yet.

hi @Ivailo J and you certainly are welcome (that's my "bump" of the topic).

Both Skype and Zoom are designed to work with the computer audio bus which is always stereo. In my setup, I added 2 Dante audio channels to Zoom output for playback. The input tends to be mono but I have heard Zoom meeting audio that was broadcast in stereo. I'm not sure how that was done but I suspect it is because the host was using a subscription Zoom account. At any rate, I use the same mix minus approach for all streaming services, including Streamlabs/OBS.

In my example, the mix-minus is mono because a single mono bus is used. But if you put the pan pots in the center on both channels then the mix will be in mono if you can only take one of the Main mix L/R channels for the input.

The items you mention that are specific to the Model series, such as the settings of the channel mode switches are important or else you won't be getting the proper signals.

Hope you are feeling better now. Please give us a followup. Thanks.

It's just as important to set up Zoom properly:

New threads

Members online

No members online now.