How to take tracks snipits from Tascam DP-008ex and reorder in Audacity?

Lino

Gear owned
Tascam DP-008ex
Hello, so I am trying to understand how to take tracks for a song I recorded on my Tascam DP-008EX multi-track recorder and reorder them in Audacity to then be mixed and master back on the Tascam machine, and I am a bit confused about the best workflow here. Basically, the idea is this. I just cannot manage to get my song recorded in a single take, it is just too frustrating, and somewhere along the way I mess up! However, I have let's say a good 25 or so minutes of recording for a song on the Tascam, and in that recording are all my song take attempts at different parts of the song, and there are some pretty good takes there, but it's just my trying different parts one at a time, not as a whole song in one single take. So what I want to do is take snipits of parts of the song that sounded good, and stitch them together in the order of my song, and the have that be my song recording! However, I am not sure the best way to do this!

For reference, I have two tracks here, just track 1 and track 2. Track 1 is my vocals, and track 2 is my guitar. What I can intuitively think to do here is the delineate the IN/OUT of each part of the song on these tracks, isolating the intro riff, the first verse, the second verse, the chorus, the ending verse, etc. etc., and paste them in order onto tracks 3 and 4. The only problem is that I need to be soooo incredibly precise with when I hit the IN/OUT markers. Sure I can paste these together, but it will sound so very crunched together, where each snipit just does not flow into the next, like a major hiccup between the verse into the chorus, rather than a natural flow. It likely will not be seamless, unless you are just super incredibly accurate, sectioning off these parts, which seems like it would involve hours of trying and trying to again to get the IN/OUT timestamps perfect. Is there a better way to do this? Maybe I could just get a rough ordering off the parts, and then just trim the spacing between millisecond by millisecond or something like that? It seems so frustrating!

My idea is to export these tracks into Audacity, and then do the re-ordering via simply copy and pasting there. I like Audacity because the copy/pasting just seems so simple and intuitive! Though does this sound like a good approach? The thing I am confused about is, how do I export my song recorded on my Tascam machine that exists as 2 separate tracks into Audacity so that I see both tracks separately in Audacity? I would want to re-arrange the parts of my song, but keeping tracks 1 and 2 still lined up within those sections if that makes sense. The basic idea here is to get my 2-track song ordered correctly, and then sent back to my Tascam machine where I can mix my now seamlessly put-together song! I feel like with Audacity I can just select the best parts to set as the beginning/end of each section of the song I want, rather than many, many attempts at hitting the IN/OUT buttons on my Tascam at the exact time. I am sorry if this sounds confusing, I am trying my best to explain my goal here and am new to recording! I suppose summed up my question is, what is the best work flow/steps I should take to get my 2 track song off my Tascam, rearranged and put together seamlessly in Audacity, and then sent back to the Tascam where I can mix (adjust my stereo panning, etc.) and then master? I would really appreciate any feedback and guidance here, and my apologies for such a long post, I just wanted to be sure to get all the details down. Thank you very much!

I'm not familiar with Audacity (Reaper user), but most DAWs are similar.

I think what you need to do is export the 2 tracks from the DP-008ex as 2 separate songs or single tracks (one at a time).. either way.. This will give you 2 WAV files you can import (or drag and drop) into Audacity's track screen - each on it's own track. Then just cut and paste in the desired order onto a third (vocal) and fourth (guitar) track - do some slight alignment and crossfade the joints (if Audacity does crossfades).

New threads

Members online

No members online now.