I had a brainy idea!

rqstudio

Veteran
Gear owned
MX-2424 DM-3200
Lets say I had some 24 trk recordings in my MX, Is the DM-4800 sophisticated enough to digital in (from DM) and then Digital out through DM via Firewire directly into Protools? The benefit of this would be a way to convert 24 files from the MX into PT in real time, hopefully without converting over and over...?

I assume you mean digital in from MX and then to DAW with firewire. Sure, this should be perfectly possible with the DM-4800 (and the DM-3200 for that matter). I don't know the MX but it would require another (not FW) way of getting digitally into the DM: either TDIF or ADAT, 3x8 channels. Make sure the MX is clock master and you'd stay digital all the way.

Thanks Arjan, Yeah my MX has Analog I/O's and TDIF. Here's my idea...
1. I could go Analog off the sends of an analog house system (live gig) into the MX
2. Then in the studio or home, I could then go TDIF from the MX into the DM
3. And in real time out of the DM's Firewire into PT.
That's got to be a lot faster than any kind of transfer, no?

Why not just transfer the wav files in the MX via ethernet, I know it's not quick but it takes a whole stage of transfer out. I do it all the time, you can queue the transfer and go off and do something else. I have transferred a song 24 tracks in only a few minutes?

Alan.

Well, if it's not a recording you're transferring but a live gig, why not leave the whole MX out and record straight off the DM-4800 into the DAW? You could then also record higher sample rates I guess (again, don't know the MX).

Thanks guys, I would be doing what Arjan suggest. going out the TDIF of the MX into the DM and Firewire out of the DM into the DAW 24 tracks in real tme. Wouldn't that be much, much faster than the MX transfer rate? I'll probably give it a try.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.