I need HELP from the Pros! Please can anyone Help?

MrChucky7

From
Savannah.
Gear owned
Tascam FW-1082
Hey guys I'm new here and I need to get help from someone smarter than myself in this matter. Here goes, I have a Asus i5 CPU 650 @ 3.20GHz. 4.0 GB of Ram with Window XP (I know) system. My problem is that I have a TASCAM FW -1082 I am running 6 to 6 pin Fire-wire. I don't have a install disk so I down loaded the Drivers from TASCAM for the FW-1082 Ver 1.8, O.k. sorry so long winded, My system see's the FW-1082 and I have down loaded the Drivers, but when I try to install the Drivers to connect to the FW-1082 my CPU give me an Error message Can not find (Setup File) and when I open up (All Files) there is not a setup or install file at all. so I'm stuck. Does anyone here have any type of an idea on what I should do next? Or does anyone know where I could buy a copy of a Install Disk? Thanks for any help I can get. MrChucky7.

Hi MrChucky7

Not quite sure I understand what you mean with "my CPU give me an error message"... I guess you have to mean that Windows XP as an operative system tells you it can't find the Setup file.

And what do you mean with "I open up (All Files) there is no setup files" ?

I checked on Tascam internet site and found both Firmware and Drivers there. I tested to download both of them to take a look.

https://tascam.com/downloads/tascam/309/FW1804_Win_1.80.zip
Inside this zip-file there is an EXE-file that are used to install the Drivers that installs into Windows system.

https://tascam.com/downloads/tascam/309/fw1804_firmware_updater_183_49_Win.exe
This is an EXE-file used to install the Firmware into the FW-1082 itself. But it's only an update and I'm not sure if you have to have an earlier version installed first for this one to install properly. I unpacked this exe-file with 7-Zip and inside there is two different BIN-files, one txt-file and an Fw1804Updater.exe

It should work to start the original exe-file. But maybe it works better to extract that exe-file and start from the exe-file inside the first exe-file. It's not always that the install-file is called "Install" or "Setup" but simply the name of the program with .exe at the end.

If Windows already have detected FW-1082 the instalment SHOULD work without problem. But there could also be some problem with Windows Installer itself, and that there are some missing files in the Windows system.

From the instalment PDF:
"Make all (computer, audio and MIDI) connections to theFW-1804 with the power turned off."
"Do not connect the FW-1804 to the computer until you have installed the software."

https://tascam.com/downloads/tascam/309/FW-1804_Setup_Eng_web.pdf

https://tascam.com/us/product/fw-1804/download

Hope some of this can help you a bit on the way. XP is pretty old and more unstable than later versions, but since Tascam probably doesn't support this older hardware in newer versions of Windows, I understand why you have XP installed. Lots of people does that, since older hardware AND software won't work in newer versions of Windows.

Chucky,
When I extract (unzip) the driver I get FW1804_Win_1.80.exe
That's the install file you need.
Word of caution:
DO NOT TRY TO UPDATE THE FIRMWARE!

If you try to install the current version of the firmware your 1804 will
likely become a doorstop. Once the 1.80 driver is installed and the 1804
is working, you can open the Control Panel and can see which version
of the firmware is installed.
Only then, can you upgrade the firmware. NEVER try to re-install whatever
is the current version of the firmware on any of the FW interfaces!
Take a look at the FW1884 install procedures on my website.
Also, You Must have a TI firewire chipset for the FW to work properly.
Its all on my website...

Tom

Hi. I'm a bit confused. The driver installation discussion went from the 1082, to the 1804, to the 1884.

Tom, I have a 1082 that as of recently is not functioning properly. You mention not updating the firmware on any of the FW series interfaces. I tried reloading the firmware and also the power up reset procedure. Neither fixed the problem. I looked for information on your website (deeringamps.com?), but couldn't find anything Tascam related.

Thanks,
Joseph

"I tried reloading the firmware"
which part of
DO NOT TRY TO UPDATE THE FIRMWARE!
was unclear or subtle? and the link to my website is in my signature.
or: http://deeringamps.com/fw1884
Now that we got that out of the way...
"I have a 1082 that as of recently is not functioning properly"
System specs? OS, serial number of the 1082.
What did you change before the 1082 began not functioning properly?
Please define "not functioning properly".
I know some of the above was a little "harsh", but too often the frustration you
are feeling because the FW isn't working is matched by the frustration we are
feeling because you haven't given us enough info to try and help.

DISCLAIMER!
I am not an expert in all things Tascam FW!
The first tutorial I put together was as much for my own future reference so I
could keep my FW-1884 working as Windows and the 1884 moved forward.
Most of the info I have on the site is what I thought was the "best" info from
the old forum.
I'm happy to help, all I ask is that you, help me, help you....
Tom

Thanks for taking the time, really, "Thanks" I just got the unit about a month ago and I was running XP, "I wish I wouldn't have changed it, but I can always pull it back." and on the download from Tascam there where no Setup drivers so my system would not allow the FW-1082 to see the drivers nor the drivers find the unit. I can find the Drivers and I can see the unit but can't get them to connect." Like a jackass" I switched to Windows 10. and I was not trying to offend any jackasses out there. So I need someone smarter than I to help me learn just what to do next.

Sorry about not giving enough information, but at that time all I was thinking about was "If I could find anyone who could get it to connect with Windows 10. Lol

Ok, here's the problem, when I download the Drivers, right before the download finishes I get a message stating that the "download can not be completed on this system." ok now what do I do?" Or should I just buy an FW-1884?

Chucky, Lets start from scratch.
What OS are you running right now?
If Windows 10, is it a "clean" install, or an "in place" install?
Is it 32 bit or 64 bit?
Judging by your system specs you were running XPx86?
(btw, my "fastest system is XP on a very similarly spec'ed machine,
I run embroidery machines with it, not digital audio)
What DAW software are you running, plan to run?
You never had the 1082 running successfully; right?
(I think I know the answer, but I want to confirm)
Where did you purchase the 1082 and did you see it work?

That should get us started...

Tom

Last question, did you review the Win10 Tutorial in my signature?

I'm sorry I thought I said earlier, I'm running Windows 10 Pro. Here goes, I have an Asus i5 CPU 650 @ 3.20GHz. 4.0 GB of Ram. Nothing on the system but 1. Roland VM-3100 Pro with R-bus card a Roland VS-1824 Midi into a Midi card running Cubase and Reason with a Roland TD-8 kit midi into Superior Drummer 3. So the only thing that is really on the drive is the SD3 the R-bus card Logic and Cubase 5 Producer. and Reason. I'm trying to find out how to make the FW-1082 work with windows 10. Or? Would a Tascam FW-1884 be better or worse? I'm going to use the FW-1082 for the interface, for the two midi ins and outs, and using the firewire to link to Reason. Crazy Hybrid.

Last edited:
was running XP, "I wish I wouldn't have changed it, but I can always pull it back."
That's why I asked "What OS are you running now?"
"Would a Tascam FW-1884 be better or worse?"
Worse!
Then you would have two "doorstops"!

Q1) Is Windows 10 a "Clean Install"?

Q2) Do you have a copy of FW1082_Win_1.80.exe?
Not the Zip file, the actual "extracted" .exe file?

Q3) What firewire card or motherboard firewire do you have?
IT MUST BE A TI FIREWIRE CHIP!
Use this utility to determine if you have a TI fireiwre chip: OHCI Test Tool.
It is a Zip file so you will need to "extact" it.

Once we determine you have the right firewire card and the proper .exe file we can use my tutorial to, hopefully, get you up and running.
This "assumes" you have a functioning FW-1082, but that's another story...

Tom

Last edited:
FW1082_Win_1.80.exe I downloaded from Tascam
That should be all you need.

I tried your link and came up empty at eBay. A quick google came up empty as well.
I'm not familiar with the Delock device. ADS Pyro & Adaptec was always a good choice.

I fixed the OHCI Tool link (a little dyslexia on my part, sorry 'bout that)

Yes my FW-1-82 is working fine.
Meaning you have audio? What we don't know is if the firewire is working; right?

How far into the tutorial did you get? Were you successful in setting up the
"1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy)" in Device Manager?
win_7_device_manager_legacy.jpg

Tom

Quick question. I have a chance to pick up a
TASCAM FW-1884 is it worth it or more trouble than the FW-1082? P.S. I ran the OHIC Test I guess I need a TI firewire card Which one do you think is the one I need? Thanks.

The ADS Pyro PCIe has been a good one. A quick google brought up this one on Amazon. Looks like its a "pull", but the price is right. If your motherboard has a PCI slot the Adaptec 4300 works well. (I have one of each if you can't find one).
As to the FW-1884; IF it is in good working order its a great piece of gear!
However, many have "issues'. Read through the Service Bulletins on my website.
Blown Firewire chips are common; its easy to plug the cable in upsidedown!
Blown opamps in the pres are common; again there's a service bulletin to "fix" it.
Last but not least, early production units frequently won't "sync" due to voltage regulation problems on the 5v firewire chip buss. Its fixable, or you can leave it on 24/7 (I do) and it seems to work (mine works flawlessly as long as I leave it on. From a cold start it can take up to 30 minutes for the 5 volt supply to "regulate" properly).
The only way I would buy any of the FW's is to see it working properly and "syncing" to the computer.
If you can't get your computer "talking" to the 1082, the 1884 isn't going to either.
Tom

Cool, I'll let it go. I checked on those cards you told me about and I couldn't find out if they were TI cards or not. No big deal, If this doesn't work, I'm going back to my Roland VS - 1824, That's all. I'll have my TI card in a few days. Thanks again.

Both the Pyro and Adaptec have the TI chip. Of course both the ones I have are old stock.
Pretty sure both have been discontinued. I have a TI card in my current studio rig, but I don't have a record of what card was used.
I have a PCI-e (Pyro) with the TI chip and I have a PCI Adaptec with the TI chip.
Apparently the going rate is $30 (based on the Pyro I see on Amazon).
I'll ship via US Priority Mail at $30, anywhere in the USA.
Tom
go to my website, the homepage has my contact info...

New threads

Members online

No members online now.