I want a DP-24SD but not sure if it's what I need

Broosta

Gear owned
none yet but maybe DP-24S
Hi, first post here!

I'm looking to rule in or out a DP-24SD for me with this post/thread.

I was looking for a mixer to jam with my synths, drum machine, guitar and effects hardware - looking to get something as cheap as I can get away with that is decent for sound, build quality, usability and any extras.

I started off thinking about Behringer QX1620 at £172. Then decided I wanted better quality after reading loads of horror stories.
Next I locked in on the Mackie ProFX12V3 for £240ish.

I was almost going to buy one but did a bit of a search for similar stuff and then thought about how much recording stereo outs would cost on top, to record any decent jams that turn into something.

I have a DAW in the house (new jam area is in the garage) and use FLStudio and loads of VSTs but have recently dug out my old synths (JP8000, SH-09 and a Microkorg) and then connected them up to an old mixer ( Frontline X-8) I had that is a bit noisy. I then realised the JP and the SH are both too faulty to play really (will get them fixed but later) and then bought a drum machine (TR-6s) and a bassline synth (TD-3) and another slightly newer synth (JD-Xi) and made some noise in the garage which was really fun.
Still haven't figured out the midi network properly but waiting for an 8x thru box (Keytech MT18E) to arrive and then it should all work better.

I had thought about getting a Behringer X Air XR12 or similar but don't like having to have an iPad connected and the lack of proper knobs and sliders although they are probably ideal otherwise.

But anyway, back to my last minute pre purchase search for stuff bit - I suddenly noticed the DP-24SD which I thought might tick both live jam and recording boxes plus a few more like superior sound, build and effects for less than the stand alone non portable recorders plus the ProFX12V3. Result!

However, no midi. Yes there are workarounds but looks a bit of a faff plus you need another box - either cheap and old or new and £££. I'm a bit warey of old stuff not working properly as above!

So now I'm not sure if it will do all I need - to connect my hardware and mix it for live jams and then record the results. If it is suitable then I'll happily get into things a bit deeper with production and recording with it. I really want this to be the device for me but if there is something better for me then I'd better go elsewhere.

Should I get the Tascam DP-24SD - £391???! or something else for similar money?

Sorry for the wall of text but thought I'd get it all down to help get the best response.

Cheers.

Reactions: dctdct
If you are basically looking for a mixer, but with recording ability, Tascam model 12/16/24 might be a better option.(?)

Reactions: Broosta
I look at the DP24 as a portable recorder and mixer, create stereo files that I can master elsewhere. I wouldn't use it for effects as they're there just to add a little something here and there, not for major, high quality effects. As for MIDI you'll have to get around that by adding a box that has the soft synths you want, takes MIDI in and produces analog out. It's a great machine for recording, but for me that's all it is.

Last edited:
If you are basically looking for a mixer, but with recording ability, Tascam model 12/16/24 might be a better option.(?)

Well that's the thing, I was looking for a mixer that can record or 2 separate items that do that but now I've seen the DP-24 I'm hoping it will do this as it's cheaper than the Model 12 by about £160.
But if it really won't do want I want then I'll have to probably think about the Model 12.

The DP machines are limited to an 8 input, 8 track maximum recording count. If you need more inputs you'll need a bigger console, or break the session into overdubs. Since you have the DAW with loads of VSTs, maybe what you need is a small mixer with a multi-channel interface, or a Model 24.

I use Reaper with MIDI for all my devices and if your DAW can send out MTC and MMC you can control all your stuff with the DAW and not the console.

Consider the Model 12 for your use case.

- has midi (although I believe it only works as master not slave)
- can act as 10 in, 12 out usb interface - both at the same time
-can act as control surface to move your DAW faders
- aux, sub mix and solo buses plus 2 headphone outs are pretty flexible
- really good preamps and a very nice compressor on each channel... the quality of mixes and recorded tracks you can achieve is impressive
- don’t underestimate the value of that Bluetooth channel...!

So The DP24 is great if you want to work DAW-free or minimal time in a DAW. It is Very flexible and fast. And I think the effects are solid and very very decent... just use a light hand when applying them. And it can technically do most of the things a Model 12 can- other than the above. But The lack of midi on the current DP series is the miss for your situation.

Last edited:
The DP machines are limited to an 8 input, 8 track maximum recording count. If you need more inputs you'll need a bigger console, or break the session into overdubs. Since you have the DAW with loads of VSTs, maybe what you need is a small mixer with a multi-channel interface, or a Model 24.

I use Reaper with MIDI for all my devices and if your DAW can send out MTC and MMC you can control all your stuff with the DAW and not the console.

Ok I think I need to clarify that although I do have a DAW with everything associated+++ I wish to not use it. For now at least, as I don't have a dedicated studio area in the house and the PC is used for everything everyday. Also I'm really enjoying just playing music with no screen or keyboard or mouse involved.

Further down the road I'm thinking the iPad I just got free for work should be able to run FLStudio so I could maybe use that to transfer 'stuff' from the garage setup to the DAW in the house if I need to. Or just take the SD card out if I have a DP-24.

Now I am hoping the DP-24 can act as a live mixer - which I think it can. But also whilst I could just go out and buy a live mixer for the money but I think I'm hearing that the sound and effects would be better on the DP-24 than on a Mackie ProFXv3. The Mackie is a bit cheaper and is a decent budget mixer but it can't record anything and doesn't deal with midi (as it doesn't need to!). If I want to record my jam sessions I'll need a recording device (iPad so free?) connected to the output of the mixer which would be stereo only so I couldn't really do anything with it later if I wanted to in the DAW.
A half decent mixer with muti tracking outputs - Soundcraft Signature 12MTK £370, 6 mono tracks and 3 stereo tracks, some effects (same quality as the DP-24? but not as many) and no recording capabilty. And then it needs connecting to a DAW with all the fun that involves!

I think I've ruled out the Model 12 as it still needs a DAW and is more expensive and so the Model 24 is also out as it's even more ££.

For midi - I'm not sure exactly where the problem will lie as I haven't tried to record anything away from my DAW yet, but I will connect all my midi devices with midi cables and the midi thru box and use something as the master (JD-Xi or TR-6s) and get it all happily running together as I need it so I can jam away.
Then surely I can just record what was played - either as stereo or if I connect things in the wright way as 8 separate channels. Then I can choose what to do with it - to delete it, to leave it as it's awesome, or decide to re-record it properly on the DP-24 in the garage or recreated with VSTs within my DAW in the house.
So I'm guessing it's in the 're-record it properly in the DP-24' bit that the midi issues crop up?

Consider the Model 12 for your use case.

- has midi (although I believe it only works as master not slave)
- can act as 10 in, 12 out usb interface - both at the same time
-can act as control surface to move your DAW faders
- aux, sub mix and solo buses plus 2 headphone outs are pretty flexible
- really good preamps and a very nice compressor on each channel... the quality of mixes and recorded tracks you can achieve is impressive
- don’t underestimate the value of that Bluetooth channel...!

So The DP24 is great if you want to work DAW-free or minimal time in a DAW. It is Very flexible and fast. And I think the effects are solid and very very decent... just use a light hand when applying them. And it can technically do most of the things a Model 12 can- other than the above. But The lack of midi on the current DP series is the miss for your situation.

Cheers for clarifying what the Model 12 can do. This has made me think that no option is ideal for me but that the DP-24 route looks cheaper and better.
I'd like a device that looks like the Model 24 with the hands on control but with the internal capabilities of the DP-24 added with full midi integration and motorized faders. And low priced...! Hahaha!

Now I am hoping the DP-24 can act as a live mixer - which I think it can.
Yes, it can. Video Tutorials 3A, 3B, 4, 6A, and 6C in the "Video Tutorials and Information" sticky thread in the shaded area of the first page of this forum.

Last edited:
I think you will be very happy with the DP24SD.

I actually like it as a live mixer - hugely flexible once you get the hang of how to route signals and scroll through the channel EQ’s, The monitor select button feature is very good.

The stated specs on the DP24 preamps are slightly different than the Model 12/16/24, and do not advertise as HIgh Def, but I am hard pressed so far to hear a difference... not sure if anyone has?

So far I like mixing down and preliminary mastering on DP24 vs a DAW. Yes it is little slower due to the “real time” process of bouncing and mixing down to add different effects, and of course it has only basic effects in general, compared to the endless smorgasbord that is a typical DAW. But it fires up in seconds, doesn’t crash, responds instantly, and it puts you into a more “tape” mentality, without the negatives of tape. So far for me and my rock and roll band it yields great results.

For all it does, DP24 is rather an incredible bargain at current street sale prices ($399 here in the states).

The lack of midi is an unfortunate miss - it would allow a lot of cool things, like having other devices to start and stop when you hit record in order to add another layer of tracks in time with a previous. There are work arounds (such as to include an audio version of a midi timing track but that isn’t perfect and apparently requires a converter box that hasn’t been made in many years).

Last edited:
Reactions: dctdct and Broosta
Yep I just took another mental step towards purchasing one!

I seem to be comparing the DP24's basic effects and such to that of a live mixer of similar price point so I'm pretty sure I will be happy!

Occasionally, the original models are put up for sale. Mine was purchased in Holland. If you gotta have MIDI you might want to look around.

Hi, still here!

So are there any known issues with buying used? Seen several on ebay but I'm not going to be able to see the devices to test them as they are many hours drive away from me. Is it risky buying used?

And is the newer SD version better than the non SD version, if we ignore the midi/CD bit? Is the rest of the machine the same or are there some improvements made to the later non SD versions?

The only differences are the color scheme which is slightly different, the "CD" button is "Rec Safe" on the SD version, and the SD version loses the grounding lug near the power connector.

Just to carry on the story...

I just got home with my new DP-24SD. 2nd hand off ebay but the seller only recently bought it, got rid of the packaging, then didn't like it and sold it having only played the demo song on it so it is as new. £200 which I think is a steal! (cost me about £20 in fuel and 5hrs driving but still very cheap! Oh and £100 worth of pedalboard and case thrown in too!)

Just need to have a play with it all now.

New threads

Staff online

Members online