I'm having issues with the IF-AE/DM AES cards

Discussion in 'TASCAM DM-3200 & DM-4800' started by wm_b, Sep 10, 2021.

1. wm_b

wm_b Member

Gear:
    DM3200, DM4800 and DM24
    I have 4 of these cards. I want to use 3 of them with my DM4800. Two of them work great. The other two seem to have issues that when I assign anything to a bus assigned to particular outputs on the AES card all I get is digital noise. On one card it's 4 of the 8 (3 & 4, 7 & 8) channels and on another it's 2 (3 & 4) of the 8 channel that have this issue. I have tried swapping cables to no avail. I don't remember if I've tried swapping slots with the two working cards (I kind of don't want to mess with it). The cards with errors have been installed in slots 3 and 4. Same issues in both slots. I feel generally confident that the expansion cards are the issue and not the DM4800.

Another thing I've noticed is that the two cards that I'm having issues with don't look like they're the same revision board. One of them has some components soldered to the board with heatshrink around them. I bought these cards one at a time over the course of upgrading from a DM3200 some years ago. The last two cards were ebay purchases from Europe. I haven't compared them with the two working boards. I'm in the USA. Does anyone have any experience with these cards?
  2. wm_b

wm_b Member

Gear:
    DM3200, DM4800 and DM24
    I'm following up my own post with how things worked out. I was mistaken that the AES cards were bad. Not wanting to risk damaging one of my good working pair of AES cards (slots 1 & 2) I removed the card from slot 1 and replaced it with the presumed defective card that I'd recently replaced from slot 3. In slot 1 the old card worked perfectly fine. From other tests I knew the cables were good. Now I have confirmed that my assumed defective card was working fine in another slot.

Upon purchasing a 4th AES card that also wasn't working correctly in slot 3 or 4 I began to suspect slots 3 & 4 might possibly be the problem. Preemptively I bought one off ebay a couple weeks ago. Today, with a canceled session to free up some time I opened the mixer and replaced the original motherboard for slots 3 & 4 with the replacement. I don't know if it was reseating the cables or a truly bad board but I now have all the AES inputs and outputs working as expected on a 3rd card.

I had used slot 3 for some time for for either an AES card or a Firewire card. I used a setup with 3 expansion cards from 2014 until 2018. I was either using slots 1, 2, and 3 or slots 1, 3, and 4. Either way it was never a problem. It's possible that simply reseating the cables might have fixed things. In 2018 I dragged my DM4800 out for a few remote recording gigs. On one I had to roll it in the road case for a good 100 feet or more on kind of chunky pavement. It was after that gig that I start6ed having lines appear on my display. I'm wondering if that was the beginning of the problems. Otherwise my mixer has been flawless. Who knows how it will hold up going forward. It's so integral to what I do that having to work around the workflow I have now would be very costly. At least I still have a perfectly functional DM3200 for parts if I need to stretch it.
    Peter Batah likes this.