Imported "wav" file to an already recorded song , best way ?

Dunny

Gear owned
tascam dp24 sd
Afternoon chaps , just a newbie question so forgive me if it is blindingly obvious to a more seasoned user , i have a college who is a bass player , i am planing to import his bass track wav file and try and slot it into my recording , i have used the audio depot to import a wav file as a test run but find it really difficult to line it up using the track edit methods ie cut and open facility to try and line the track up with my pre recorded tracks . I dont not wont to upend my Tascam and travel do the recording and return home , if you get my drift ! The file i loaded was a Hydrogen drum track as a test /dummy, but could not get it to line up with the original

Cheers Paul

I typically add a few second to the imported track I want to edit, in case the edit time would be too small to be allowable. I identify a good starting point using an existing track and the jog play function. (Remember that you can "magnify" the waveform for accuracy.) I then (typically) use the track edit function to delete the section between the desired starting point and the existing starting point on the imported track (again found with the jog play function).

It sounds like you have successfully imported the file - do remember to match sample rates!

Matt B

Check the starting point that must be accurate, like Matt B has told, you can move all the drum track to the 2 o 3 beat selecting with the waveform zoom to the right position where the drum really start to play and cut out the unused initial part of the track. I work with commercial drum samples that I put in sequence without troubles of timing.

I work with Hydrogen too and I can tell you that timing with it is not very precise, infact when I use it in sequencing I have to put them in more of 1 track like single samples and sequencing in this way inside DP24SD, after I do bouncing in one track when the sequence is complete, this because copyng and pasting the hydrogen samples I have clip and pops troubles when I paste in sequence in one single track.

Reactions: Dunny
Thank you Matt B and Mariusvideo i will work on these ideas later tonight and post my findings , i have discovered that you can only cut or open a certain amount of time with the wave form so i like the idea of adding a few seconds to the track then deleting etc

Thank you

Yes managed to add some then take away what i needed , great advice, got it to sink perfectly , know i have to figure out how to get him to create a wave file and send it to me , i send him a mp3 with the basic drums and chords on , he records using a boss BR 800 , he then should be able to create a wave file with bass line only, then i import to track

Well in lads and thank you

Just something i noticed using Hydrogen drum software which is a nice surprise to me , in useing Boss BR800 digital recorder , i used and internal drum machine for a project , but only very basic drum patterns wih no fills or stops, i would then go back and adjust the drum track to mimic the feel and stops within the song , sometimes tempo as well , i did not think i would be able to have the same freedom with hydrogen , because of the import facility to a track on the the project , one shot type of thing , but after using the Tascam i can use a basic drum pattern , load it to a track , and as long as i use the same click at the start of the drum track it matches perfectly to the other tracks !!

New threads

Members online