Insert FX on recorded track?

zipgunpopgun

Gear owned
Model 12
Hi there,
Model 12 question:
I'm wondering if it's possible to Insert an FX unit into Channel 1 with a view to applying the FX to a recorded track on playback/mixdown?
When I insert my Lexicon MX200 into Channel 1, I can hear the effect on a live microphone, but I can't apply the effect to a recorded track on playback.
Do I need to adjust the routing in the Model 12?
Or is it just not possible?
Many thanks for any wisdom.
Matt

Not owning a Model 12, inserts work on the audio on a channel strip, regardless of the audio. In other words, it shouldn't matter if it's a live mic being recorded or audio playback from a recorder or DAW.

The first question is - are you hearing the audio playback from the DAW correctly on the channel with the inserted FX? If so, then the next step would be to check the block diagram and see where the insert is configured in the signal path. The block diagram will put you on to the solution.

The insert point is before the input select switch (USB/MTR point in the channel strip).
So, no, you can’t use the insert to add some effect on the recorded signal.
Instead, I’m assuming you could use the sub or aux sends to do that, with the effected signal going back to another couple of inputs that could then be recorded.

Reactions: dctdct

As we can see from the block diagram, the insert jacks only work with the analog inputs because they come before the ADC. The USB/MTR returns (DAW or SD card) are not affected by the inserts at all.

Reactions: Logrinn
When recording with the FX on INSERT, then the recorded track will have the FX printed.
If you record dry/no FX, then you need to swap the track onto another track other than 1 or 2, as they are the only channels with INSERT. Then, send the channel to SUB output and loop back to Channel 1/2 to record with FX from INSERT.

New threads

Members online