IPad as DAW/recorder?

Discussion in 'Model 24/16/12' started by singaiya, Sep 22, 2020.

1. singaiya

singaiya New Member

I'm trying to connect the Model 24 to an iPad air (2019 model) in order to use the Tascam as the front end input and the iPad as the record device. I thought this would work based on something I saw on Youtube but now I can't find the reference.

Has anyone gotten that to work? I'm connecting the iPad's charging cable to an adapter that takes the USB-A plug to a USB-B plug, which is what the Tascam has. But I see no evidence on the iPad that anything is connected. I even tried putting the Tascam in USB/Storage mode but nothing.
  2. Logrinn

Logrinn New Member

Southern Sweden
    Gear:
    Model 12
    Have you downloaded the Tascam’s dedicated software to the iPad as it says in the manual?
  3. singaiya

singaiya New Member

No, I didn't see anything about that in the manual. It talks about drivers that will be needed for Windows but nothing about ipad. Somewhere on the web I saw reference to "class compliant" for iPad, as in no additional software needed. I'll check Tascam's site to see what's there...
  4. Blue Monster 65

Blue Monster 65 Member

Gear:
    Model 16
  5. singaiya

singaiya New Member

I got it to work with the iPad. What worked is using the official Apple lightning to USB 3 cable. Before that I had been trying little connectors I got from Monoprice. One has female USB-A on both sides, so you can connect two male USB-A connectors together. The other has that one one side and a male USB-B (for the Model 24) on the other side. Obviously, the cheap way doesn't work (connectors were $1 each, Apple cable was $39).

No drivers or downloads were needed on the iPad. Plugged it in and the Model 24 was recognized. I recorded a track from Model 24 input #4 to Garageband. Now I just need to find out how to play the track recorded in Garageband BACK on the Tascam. (setting input 4 to PC didn't work).
    Matthew Fogel and -mjk- like this.