Is it possible to connect a DR-44WL to a DAW?

luca_staffiere

Gear owned
DR-44WL
Hi everyone,
I recently aquired a DR-44WL, an while I know it is made for field recording, I might also want to use it as a microfone for recording things at home with a DAW (since I don´t have many microfones at home).
I am using reaper and a sound card from focusrite. Is it possible to connect the stereo microfone of the DR-44WL to the sound card or to the computer and have Reaper recognise the audio signal?

The DR-44WL doesn't have the ability to be used as a sound card. The only way you can use the microphones of the DR-44WL is to use its headphone output with the line in of your Focusrite. As it is not a balanced signal, you may get some unwanted noise though.

thanks @Michel Simplement
It is really a bummer that the DR-44WL doesn´t have this function, since the instead DR-40x is able to do that :(
I might try the headphones output, but the Tascam already creates enough noise as is...

For what it's worth Luca, I use the headphone output of myDr44WL connected to an in-ear monitor system, and a front-of-house desk so that I can use home-made backing tracks for my vocals, and I've never had any noise trouble. Having the ability to have all my backing tracks on an SD card is extremely useful.
Just as an aside, if you have used the remote control WI-FI function for the 44WL with an iPad, I'd be interested in how you found it. Personally, I found it a load of rubbish!

Hi @David Cunningham, I have used the WI-Fi function with an android: If I use the house Wi-fi it is not so bad, it keeps disconnecting but still reconnects quite fast. Using the internal wi-fi of the DR44WL instead is impossible (which is really another super bummer considered the fact that this function is also meant to be used outdoor)

I don't know if that is only an impression but when the DR-44WL is powered by USB, the wifi seems to be somewhat more reliable as if the battery drain had something to do with it.

When the 44WL is powered by USB it kind of defeats the portability factor, which, to me anyway, is the whole point of the WI-FI exercise.

I'll look into this, but I don't think it's a power consumption in my case. I think it's more of a problem with the iPad. I'll let you all know if I come up with a solution.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.