Issues when I record an acoustic guitar with external preamp

Chuchi

Gear owned
DM 4800
Hi to everyone,

First of all, I have to say that I am a newby in this home studio world. :|

I would like to record an acoustic guitar with the following chain newly settled: Microfone Microtech gefell UMT 70S + Preamp Fearn VT2 ( with Phantom power ON) + IF/AN DM I/O analog Tascam card + Tascam DM 4800 + Logic Pro.

I have to face the following embarrassing issue: while the gain of the preamp is set on 58 dB ( nearly the maximum) the amplitude of the wave is extremely small even with my cursor on channel 25 is nearly 0 :shock: dB.

When I’ve bought my second hand DM 4800 the card was already installed in the slot and I never have checked the settings. :confused:

I’ve read or heard that the issue could be due to a wrong or inadequate setting on the card that can be modified by micro switches.
To gain some Db, I would like to ask to experienced sound engineer 3 questions.
a) should I set all the settings on ON ( - 20 dBFS) or
b) should I make them all on OFF (- 11 dBFS)
c) As nothing is connected to the output DB25 slot, should I change the settings or not

Of course, I am aware that by modifying the settings I have to be very cautious not to overload the converters by the preamp.

Here after is the sheet of the IF/AN DM I/O Tascam card
I did unplug the card which is now in front of me. Since It’s the first time I do handle such a card, I’d like to be cautious and would appreciate if someone could me provide with help.
Thanks a lot anticipatively
Christian

http://fr.audiofanzine.com/tascam/dm/me ... 70581.html

Re: Issues when I record an acoustic guitar with external pr

The things about all the DM cards is if your cables do not conform to the Tascam standard it ain't gonna work right, if at all.

Troubleshooting: Use the preamp on the line input of a channel or the insert return of a channel first. Once you get that sorted out, you'll probably find you have way more gain available than you need; 58 db is a lot.

After that I would trouble shoot the analog card and cable, first with a ipod or something to confirm all the inputs and outputs are functioning properly. I would not touch the card micro switches, they should be factory set for line level sources and fine as is.

I also really hope you aren't confusing the viewing size of the waveform with how hot your recording is! This is adjustable you know, for practical purposes, even a small looking wave could be perfectly loud enough. You know how to use meters, yes?

Thanks a lot, I am going to follow your advices and check, I also wuld prefer not to switch dip-switches since I guess that they ahve been settled correctly. And I never have heard someone complaining about recording an acoustic instrument...I'll keep you posted on the results these days..
Thanks again...

Hi Will,
I played in arpeggio with the microphone at 20 cm from the guitar and on cardioid setting.
I also have the feeling that channel 2 has a little higher output..
Could it be the microphone ??? When I listen to the signal, it is very clear and distinct with no saturation...but I am lost...

On the 1 wave I use a microphone cable standard while in channel 1 and 2 I’ve used a vovx microphone cable..

Thanks for your help...

I’ve just checked the levels
On Channel 25 when strumming gently I reach – 16 dB while fader of Tascam on -5
In finger style I can only reach – 20 dB
On the stereo output signal is – 20 while fader of Tascam is on –5

To answser your question, no I am not familiar at all with those settings...Your help is therefore greatly appreciated.. :D

That's plenty hot for AG. -20 db with main fader at -5db means you are hitting -15 db.
In broadcasting -20db is 0 VU, on some consoles -18 is your zero.
You need to read up on metering and levels.
With 24 bit recording you do not to push your levels up near zero, you will only create distortion later when you sum a bunch of tracks by doing so. This is the beauty of 24 bit vs 16 bit recording. Don't track too hot.

Thanks Will, I'll do read the metering of the instruction manual...Thanks for the advice too...Fortunately, you're over there...But by the way, where is over there...
I'll keep you posted within these days...Thanks again, and again..

Hi Will,
Today for some reason I've been on the webb and discovered that theere are 2 IF-AN/DM card...the old one and the new ones that are compatible with the mixers
The folowing seems to be dedivated to the DM24 only while the seconed is for the DM24, DM 3200 and DM 4800..The differences are the presence of small black elements on the second one...According to you, thiasmay be the reason...???
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audi ... sx-1-dm-24

http://www.thomann.de/fr/tascam_ifandm.htm

Attachments

• Tascam analogDM24.jpg
    Tascam analogDM24.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 31

Levels are levels. Did you make sure you don't have a cable problem?

No, they have been build by redco for my pacthbays I was using before switching to the Tascam...However, I am quite dissapointed to psend my time mainly for settings...Since I don't need 24 inputs at a timr, I think I am going to use 6 line inputs of 6 channels of the Tascam...and let this card in the freeser...The strange thing is that there should be plenty of people using this card and I haven't seen any complain...

New threads

Members online