Peter Batah

Soundaholic
From
Montreal, Canada
Website
www.cafejoya.com
Gear owned
DM4800 / MU1000
I spent a portion of the day working on the construction of my absorption panels. Several more to go!

I decided to call it quits after having completed four 2' x 4' x 3" deep panels (insulation material and fabric wrapping). I picked up 2 x 10' Mogami Gold cables for my Focal monitors on Friday. I got tired of staring at the boxes that the monitors were sitting and was just itching to unleash the beasts. . It will be a while before my room will be ready. But, I just couldn't resist, and the temptation was too strong. So I had to unbox the Focals, place them on my desk and give them a listen. Obviously, they will have to be angled downward. The desk is a few inches too high because of the caster wheels that are installed in order for me to move it around when needed. Just thought that I would share my Sunday experience with my fellow Tascam friends. Have yourselves a wonderful evening. Be safe!

https://mega.nz/file/U0ZxAQiZ#GBmKkhtspYTbBtUxdWnC-WhcKR4b6snUCyBs1Dj8n-A

Attachments

• 20200614_183756.jpg
    20200614_183756.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 9
@Peter Batah Nice, looking good! Now back in the box with them and get on with it! :LOL:

@Arjan P Thanks. It seems like there is no end in sight. No rush. I am enjoying the journey. Have a good one.

Reactions: Arjan P
Steady on, there is an end to it. It took me 4 years to get my studio to an operational state, but it's been 8 since then and I'm glad I took the time. Good luck!

@Arjan P Wow! Four years. Obviously, you were very committed. It has taken me close to 40 years to kick off this new venture. Somehow, life just kept getting in the way. There is only one way to go now and that is "forward". And, I know that there has to be a light at the end of the tunnel.

@Arjan P Looks like the site was down for a few minutes. I have seen this happen on several occasions in the past.

By the way, I did learn something about the speakers pretty quickly. They should be powered on last and powered off first.

Attachments

• Tascam Forum Down -  2020-06-14 205512.png
    Tascam Forum Down - 2020-06-14 205512.png
    43.6 KB · Views: 3
Thanks for sharing Peter. Now, the fun is really starting! btw, that desk cost more than my console! lol

Reactions: Peter Batah
@-mjk- My pleasure. I'm very pleased that I get the opportunity to share my experience with this great community.

Every step forward seems to fuel my level of motivation. That's a good thing I hope! Have a great week ahead. Be safe! Peter

Last edited:
Reactions: Arjan P and -mjk-
Hey Peter, let me add my words that you’re off to a great start! The Argosy console, mixer, and monitors go well together – it’s a great looking setup! And while 40 years is a while, I think most of us have such situations. For me, I’ve been in music much of my life, but it’s not been a vocation since my 20s, rather, a strong avocation. It’s just so hard to make decent money as a musician or recording engineer unless you’re already established in the music world that I don’t want to go back to starting over.

It’ll be great to see your final setup!

Reactions: -mjk-
Arjan, are you one of those industrious and lucky people that has successfully made music your career?

Sorry Peter, I wasn't thinking and didn't mean to hijack your thread.

@skier Thank you so much for the vote of confidence. I really need it. Truth be told, there have been many moments of doubt, and still are. The process can be quite intimidating to say the least. Avocation is a great way of putting it. No need to apologize for the question that you were asking @Arjan P. I hadn't given it a thought. Have a wonderful day / week. Peter

@skier No, I have a technical day job that I like very much and brings in decent money to pay the bills. Also, IMO it keeps music /studio engineering fun. Seeing how everyone has a studio in his laptop these days, I think operating a 'traditional' professional studio is becoming more and more a challenge. I always say, 'My studio is a hobby that went out of hand'..

@Jerome Williams Anything and everything is possible. Persistence, patience, and ceasing the opportunity when it presents itself. Best of luck and have yourself a safe & wonderful day / night!

@skier No, I have a technical day job that I like very much and brings in decent money to pay the bills. Also, IMO it keeps music /studio engineering fun. Seeing how everyone has a studio in his laptop these days, I think operating a 'traditional' professional studio is becoming more and more a challenge. I always say, 'My studio is a hobby that went out of hand'..

I guess most of us are in that boat. I must admit I would be torn between both sides if I could earn a decent living at music again. Part of me would love to spend most of my time in the studio composing, playing, recording/producing and putting out my music, while another part completely agrees with you about the fact that doing something different as a vocation keeps music /studio engineering fun. I did spend a number of years as a software developer, something I had really enjoyed previously doing on my own, and after a few years of doing it professionally, I had absolutely no desire to do it form myself at home - it wasn't a hobby anymore, it felt like an extension of work. At least it's fun again, though not as much as it once was.

It's seductive, isn't it? I have several hobbies that have gone 'out of hand".

New threads

Members online

No members online now.