Just finished album on DP-32

Findlay

Veteran
Gear owned
244 DP32
I've just finished a lockdown project on my DP-32SD and just wanted to say (again) how incredibly impressed I am with the machine. I decided starting last October to record a famous album from scratch and have had great fun in the attempt. There were lots of tricky harmony vocals which I found easier to record on a DP008 then transfer to the DP-32 for guitar parts and mixing. It was as really nice way of working I found. I sent the files to have a one-off lathe cut LP yesterday - as daft as it may sound! I think it will be really interesting to listen to the result. In a strange coincidence it almost coincides with the 50th anniversary re-release of the original this Friday......

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk-
@Findlay that's pretty cool, thanks for posting that. Are you going to upload the tracks to a service like Soundcloud?

Reactions: Findlay
@Findlay that's pretty cool, thanks for posting that. Are you going to upload the tracks to a service like Soundcloud?

Thanks for your kind comments mjk. I'm not sure about copyright issues if I post to Soundcloud.... Don't want to get sued! Also dead nervous about what you guys might think about it! Would recommend it as a project though, covering your favourite album.

BazzBass - it's Deja Vu all over again!

Good luck, Findlay!

As far as copyrights and posting covers goes, I have posted many covers without issue. The most they will do is remove it. I've never had that happen. If you start making money from the covers they will find you and then it will become an issue. :)

FP

Or you can pay for the right to have it streamed. I'm a bit of a Dudley Do-right that way.

Thanks for the advice guys. I just received the vinyl an hour ago and played it. Quite a difference to the digital sound - like listening through warm treacle. But I love it! I must say the lathe cut seems as good as a normal pressing. Bass is a little down and it does kind of magnify the harmony errors, but heck, how could anyone sing like those guys!

Thanks for your kind comments mjk. I'm not sure about copyright issues if I post to Soundcloud.... Don't want to get sued! Also dead nervous about what you guys might think about it! Would recommend it as a project though, covering your favourite album.

BazzBass - it's Deja Vu all over again!

These days, if you post something, their publishing company will just claim it and you won't make any money. That's why so many YouTubers do things like mixes of famous songs and so forth, without any worries.

but heck, how could anyone sing like those guys!

@Findlay you're assuming that we know who you are referring to!

So you I guess you play a lot of CSN&Y covers BazzBass!

Or you can pay for the right to have it streamed. I'm a bit of a Dudley Do-right that way.

I would happily pay a small fee to stream if I thought that those payments were being doled out to the original artists properly. I haven't heard one artist who says they approves of the system. David Crosby had to sell his yacht for God's sake...LOL.

Seriously though, I will continue to have them flag me if they must but I won't give them money up front. I think artists are getting ripped off.

When you play at a bar or nightclub, that club pays the ASCAP or BMI fee. Why is it different for YouTube or other streaming services?

About 20 years ago I recorded a cover of Fly Me To The Moon for an album. The publishing company (Harry Fox Agency) actually sent us a free copy of the sheet music when we told them we were going to
print the lyrics in the liner notes. :)

FP

Last edited:
@Felonious Punk I agree. As a BMI affiliated writer, I'm 100% in favor of the writer, publisher and the artist getting their fee.

However, I can do a live stream somewhere, and there is a song playing in the background. Guess what happens? Those 3 or 4 minutes of incidental music cost me 100% of my revenue for the entire program. That is not fair.

Once I live streamed a large international gathering of live streamers and we went to a karaoke place. Of course I got copyright strikes. I fought every one of them, saying that I had paid for the karaoke room, and that the room used a licensed machine, had paid individually for each song (with a coin) but none of the music publishers would hear it. I asked them "where is my artist"s fee, since someone had to sing the song to sell it, the songs all being MIDI reproductions of the originals?" They laughed in my face.

Someday I will put a stop to this. In the meantime, I'm building my case.

Reactions: Felonious Punk
My 12 year old has been talking about YouTube demonetizing people for while now. That's telling. It's all a game and the artists are losing.

Keep fighting the good fight, MJ!

FP

If you follow Rick Beato's YT channel, he makes the exact same point (and gets worked up about it) every now and then. Even more so: he discusses an original song, usually a well known hit and explains why it's such a great song (!), does NOT receive any money (so the video is already demonitized) but still some publishers (or their artists) want the video removed. It's stupid, if you think about the relived popularity of some old songs due to their use on TikTok..

You're right, Arjan! You can't buy that kind of exposure and yet they are rejecting it. Silliness.

FP

the music 'business' was doomed the day the big record companies sold us all out for a bigger slice from the streamers. Their big artists get more than $0.00007 per play,I guarantee you that. All we need is one class action lawsuit saying that none of us were represented when the big knobs signed OUR rights away. No say at all.

We need some of the big channel operators like Roberto Blake and Nick Nimmin to get behind this.

Reactions: Felonious Punk

New threads

Members online