Just My Opinion

Lyrikal Israel

Gear owned
Tascam DP32SD
Just know that my new DP32SD is just beautiful, the color and sleek-ness is eye catching and as I'm just now plugging in my new device I'm just puzzled. When looking at my 2488 Neo I notice a major flaw with my DP32SD however I will still come to love it.

I just feel that the concept of putting the guitar input in the back of the machine is a design flaw. The previous 2488neo was a better construct in my opinion. It's just unnatural for the guitar input to be behind the machine as the cord then has to come over the machine and to me that seems inconceivable.

Best of success to you all in your musical production endeavors

Input H isn't just for guitar. Being a mic/line combo jack, it's primary function is the same as all the other Inputs. The guitar switch merely changes the line circuit to accomodate the very high impedance (40 kOhm) of electric guitars.

While I take your point, I also have to say it's never been an issue for me. I can run the guitar cable out the back and under the desk my DP-24 sits on, but most often use a stomp box into any one of the line-in jacks.

So I would say it was a TASCAM design "choice" not a design "flaw".;):)

Last edited:
Reactions: Lyrikal Israel
Thanks for the reply Mark, I see your point of view and I salute you for sharing your thoughts. I was just sharing what I noticed which I saw was different from my Neo...I will definitely make it work for me as I love my new machine.

Best of success to you all in your musical production endeavors.

Reactions: Mark Richards
I also went from MANY years (nearly 15) working happily and productively on a series of 2488's (the original, the MkII, and finally the neo) before moving to a DP-32; so I can TOTALLY relate to the transition.
The DP's being Tascam's evolution in PortaStudio, the similarities in design, features/function, and workflow are very similar and makes for a pretty smooth transition.

THAT SAID - I found myself having very similar reactions to some of the changes, additions, and subtractions that happened w/the DP. Some were pretty trivial adjustments (like the git'r input being on input H, on the back of the unit)...no big deal. Others were HUGE things I really fretted over at first...a few examples of that:
  • Being unable to save "scenes" for mixes
  • Being unable to name inserted marked points (the 88's allowed you to put in as many as I needed, AND name them, and instantly access from a list on a button on the panel - VERY handy for moving to a specific point in a project)
  • NOT having fader positions saved and put in place when a song is loaded, regardless of the faders' physical position
Stuff like that.

I'm also TREMENDOUSLY grateful to have, in 2022, acquired a mint-condition DP-32 in it's original version, which included MIDI connectivity. Tascam eliminating that in the DP-xxSD (probably for cost reasons?) was a real jump-the-shark move for them.

Yet I've found myself working with/around most of this stuff on my DP, and doing fine.
But it's probably telling that I have my mint-condition 2488neo safely stored and ready for action...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

New threads

Members online