Just ordered a dp24 .. quick ?

Neastguy

Gear owned
Tascam dp24sd
does anyone just use the unit just to record dry files .. basically drums guitar bass vocals etc and then just import it all into reaper and then do the mix downs that way? or is that too much work . I've been watching the tutorials and its confusing when you dont have the unit in front of you.. I used to have a Korg D1600 and I could fly around on that thing... hopeing this will be at least equal to that.. thanks

Yes, that's exactly what I do. My DP-32 is a recorder only, for me.

What makes it very convenient is that by using the audio depot to export the files, they all line up perfectly in Reaper.

That's how I do it. Easy ... produced an entire CD this way two or three years ago.

Reactions: Neastguy
I do it all soup to nuts on my Tascam DP 24/SD:LOL: I play in and am the musical director for two bands. Collectively the bands have saxophones, vocals, bass, drums, guitars, synthesizers, percussion, and a violin. I record them all to the DP 24/SD and I mix on the DP 24/SD and I master on the DP 24/SD. The only time the computer is involved is to share stems, convert the master to .mp3 and to share the master over google drive, e-mail, and websites.

Using Reaper, or any other computer software for mixing, or mastering is a subjective matter of choice! It is definitely not a requirement. Using a DAW is definitely not necessary. Mixing and mastering in a Daw is simply an alternative to what can be fully done on the Portastudio.

The DP 24 Portastudio has all the tools necessary to produce an extremely high quality mix and master. While some argue that a computer and software (might make) some of the mixing and mastering easier, a DAW is not necessary in any aspect of the recording process. The DP 24. It is a complete recording solution from capturing the original musical performance to mastering the final representation of that musical performance;)

Some of the features on your new Tascam DP 24:

Full Track Editing (Cut, Copy, Paste, Punch in, Punch Out, Cloning, Clearing, etc)
Virtual Tracks for additional takes
Sophisticated EQs for each Track
Effects for each Track (Reverbs, Chorus, Delays, etc)
Full Panning per track
Digital Trim per track
Noise Suppression
Compression
Normalization
Accurate Digital Track Meters, and Stereo Meters
Mastering Templates (covering all the major music genres)
Bus Routing
Monitoring
Unlimited Track Bouncing
Send Effects with the ability to connect to unlimited external effects and digital sound processing
Up to 32 gb storage per SD card for recordings
High quality DAC and ADC
The ability to save and recall Track Settings
Easy to use interface.

Disclaimer: I'm a convert to the DP 24SD after many years of doing my recordings using Cubase:geek:

I think when I get it I'll record a short 3 or 4 track song and see how difficult it is on the actual box.. and then go from there.. I just like the idea of having a big monitor.. with that being said my D1600 had a small screen and it was a non issue

Reactions: -mjk-
I'd disagree ... the choice is NOT just a subjective one. Various plug-ins available in a DAW are unavailable on the DP. If those are desired/needed then a DAW is the ONLY choice.

Reactions: -mjk-
Respectfully RustyAxe,

Whatever plugin(s) you are referring to are not necessary to mixing and mastering on Tascam DP 24;)

You may find this plug-in or that plug-in necessary for your workflow during the mixing and/or mastering process. But that's your workflow. Which by definition is subjective.

Further, as you know, most software plugins are software versions of real hardware. Some of us have and prefer to work with the real thing when we feel we want this kind of processing as part of our workflow.

Also in 2020 the industry has produced so many low cost, and affordable digital hardware effects, signal processing, sound processing devices and options, that software plugins only offer one possible alternative to process a mix or master. Using Send 2 effects on the Tascam DP 24 a user can opt to use the hardware version of virtually any software plugin available. If you choose to use a particular software plugin in your recording workflow that is your subjective choice. But in 2020 there are dozens of digital hardware ways to skin a cat.

And Neastguy could choose to do all of the processing on the DP 24, and it is totally practical and feasible to do any additional processing needed using external hardware (the real plugins).

Honestly software DAWs are not necessary or required for mixing and mastering(That is and always has been a Myth) They represent but one way to get the job done. A portastudio alone can get the job done, and a portastudio can be extended in almost an unlimited fashion using real hardware effects processors, digital sound processors, limiters, compressors, suppressors, etc. Simply by using aux send loops.

At the end of the day, recording, mixing, mastering is subjective based on the work flow you prefer. Yes I like working with large monitors too. But I wouldn't trade my entire workflow just to work with a large monitor:LOL:

Instead, I would just as a customer press Tascam to eventually add a HDMI output to their next portastudio.

And if the big screen really is the deal. Get a cheap digital camera setup it up so that it is focused on the DP Screen. And then connect the Camera to an external Monitor. I have used this technique when I'm working with multiple musicians or students who all need to see DP 24 screen at the same time. Or when I've had to make DP 24 tutorials. If you position it right the camera won't be in the way, and you'll have your large screen monitor.

Software Daws are optional in the recording, mixing, and mastering process and their use in a recording, mixing, or mastering workflow is totally a matter of choice not necessity.

thanks... now I have to learn reaper :) too

That depends though. I use a console to mix with, so I only use Reaper as a playback machine and also to record stereo mixdown tracks. I don't use a master bus or plugins.

Reactions: lastmonk
so it arrived yesterday and just followed the first 10 steps to hear the demo and I couldnt hear it from the instructions...lol.. I can tell already this is going to be way more difficult than my Korg D1600 was.. I figured out a way to hear it.. but I have no idea why I was able to hear it... guess its time to start watching the tutorials.... I have a 45 day return.. really want this thing to work for me....

Hooboy ... don't know why I post here ... everything is contentious. Respectfully @lastmonk, if I need/want/choose to use specific VST plugins the DAW is NOT just an option, it's a necessity. Don't know why you get all uppity about that simple statement. But thanks for the diatribe. Let's cut to the chase ... you're right, I'm evidently wrong, you win.

Reactions: -mjk- and lastmonk
@RustyAxe,

Hi M8, not trying to be contentious here. Its also not important for me to win. Not trying to compete in anyway. My goal is to help clarify what the capabilities of the Tascam DP 24/32 are or are not. So many new users are unclear about exactly where in a valid workflow these units fit. e.g. Can one make a professional commercial recording soup to nuts with a Tascam Portastudio or does one need a DAW to pickup the slack for a Portastudio?

I understand that if you want to use a specific VST plugin, then for you a DAW is necessary. But I think you're missing my point. The VST plugin is accomplishing some goal, maybe its supplying reverb, or distortion, or equalization,or limiting, or normalization, or some form of synthesis, or wave analysis etc. The VST Plugin is providing some functionality you've identified that you need for your audio processing. So it is the functionality that you're really after. Its what the VST does that is important to you. But the fact of the matter is that most VST Plugins have one more hardware counterparts. Keep in mind that the hardware versions of reverb, distortion, flangers, phasers, limiters, normalizers, synthesizers, etc existed first as hardware devices. The original versions were largely analog, but these days there are digital hardware versions of virtually any DSP processor or VST Plugin you can imagine.

Software VSTs were invented to imitate what the hardware devices were already doing. So it is possible to get the hardware version and use it with the Tascam DP 24/32 using Send 1, and Send 2 effect mechanism. Depending on when one is born, it may not be known that the entire recording workflow, effects processing etc. could and can all be done without a computer involved anywhere.

In the context of our discussion if one wants to use a Moog synthesizer to process an audio track, one could either get a Moog VST plugin and a DAW, or one could get a real Moog and cable and create a Send/Return loop with the Tascam DP 24/32. The end result is that in both cases the audio track would have the benefit of Moog synthesis. One approach used a VST Plugin of a Moog, the other approach used an actual Moog.

Although there are some original VSTs that never had any hardware representation those are very few and far between, and the trend now is to even in those cases produce a hardware version;) In other words, VST Plugins are in the vast majority of cases software replicas of hardware devices that exist extraneous from the computer.

@RustyAxe, yes you may want to use a particular VST, but what I'm suggesting is that no matter which VST you pick there are one or more hardware counterparts that can perform the identical audio processing that your VST is performing and that a Tascam user can simply use a hardware version of your VST Plugin. There can be a discussion about the space and cost involved, but the fact of the matter is that there is a hardware workflow that mirrors a DAW + Plugin workflow, for most common workflows that are in use.

One person uses the Korg Triton VST and Pro Tools for recording, another person uses an actual Korg Triton and the Tascam DP 24/32 for recording. One person uses a VST that has Carnegie Hall Convolution Reverb, another person takes a Tascam DP 24/32 to Carnegie Hall and captures the actual Carnegie Hall Reverb:LOL:

If you choose a particular VST Plugin and a particular DAW and a particular Operating System, that is a subjective choice on your part, because there is an alternative hardware centered workflow using the actual devices that your VST Plugin is based on which could be accomplished with the Tascam DP 24/32 Portastudio that could also be chosen;).

Some people argue that big screens, and mouse are easier to use, some people argue that knobs and sliders are easier to use, in both case we are talking about subjective choices:cool: There is no objective "this is why it has to be done this way" choice

I'm not trying to win an argument here. I'm not trying to be contentious here. But rather to make it clear that owners of the Tascam DP 24/32 using Send Effects/Return mechanism can use real hardware device plugins to extend and supplement their Portastudios in any way they want. And that the argument, that one has to use a DAW for this or that is usually false.

Contentious discussions and misunderstandings about workflow:

• Convenience
  • Cost
  • Ease Of Use
  • Practicality
  • Accessibility
  • Availability
  • Skill, Training, Knowledge
are usually behind the confusion about what can or cannot be done with the Tascam DP 24/32 versus the software DAW + VST paradigm. But even among all of this; subjectivity plays a substantial part.

Bottom line is a set of VST Plugins + one or more DAWs can get the job done for most recording applications. But its also the case that a Tascam DP 24/32 Portastudio + real hardware devices and send effect/return loops can also get the job done for most recording applications. Which one you choose, which you feel is better, which you're more comfortable with, is really a subjective choice. We often make the mistake of trying present our subjectivity as the "only logical objective choice" but upon closer examination it can usually be shown that the selection parameters one uses to make that "only logical objective choice" were chosen for subjective reasons:ugeek:

@RustyAxe, again excuse the long winded post here, I'm not trying to win an argument, or be contentious. I am not trying to belittle your point in anyway, but rather help clarify, and help educate, and help inform current users and potential users about the true capabilities of the Tascam DP 24/32 portastudio and have a little fun in the process:)

Cheers M8.

Last edited:

New threads

Members online

No members online now.