Just woke up sleeping beauty (ATR-80) and no transport response

JP Penn

Gear owned
ATR-80, DR-701D, DA30MkII
Hi All,
I've had an ATR-80 in dry temperature stable storage for years, and before storing it, worked fine transport was fast as every - the unit had all upgrades circa '93, when I first purchased it.

I'm at the beginning, a single LED number #8 to the right after the dot is lit -transport unresponsive...first thought is a logic board, but this ain't no Mac...lol! Later I powered up the ATR-80, and now no LED numbers, but the machine's fan hums like it always did...

Any thoughts on what to check first? I do have all manuals with breakouts, perhaps I should reset a logic board or brain somewhere? Remind it that it's an ATR-80, find some one in Greater Atlanta to come-by and check it out?

Your advise is most appreciated!

Best,

JP

I would check all voltages on the power supply as the electrolytic caps can die on you and either short or cause other problems from sitting. These parts do not like to be sitting and this probably signals the power supply at least needs recapping.
I had a Tascam 42 come in that had no counter. The 5V regulator was out and the large filter cap that was before it was puffed. I changed both and the unit works again. I found these by looking at the power supply pins. Often times there are connector or connectors that have all the supplies on them and you just need to go from pin 1 to the end to find them all there or not.
Fuses can separate without indication and even so in the end cap so they need to be examined with a DVM on ohm or Diode test. I usually flip the fuse out of the socket at one end to make sure you are measuring the fuse only.

Thanks Skywave! I will check this out....

Funny think though, I allowed the recorder to "warm-up" for a few hours and came back to discover all of the numbers where lit up like normal and the transports was lit and worked normally, the only thing that didn't respond was the shuttle mode.

I have a multimeter, so I should be able to check voltages and I will examine the power supply, all of the caps and fuses. Please let me know if there are other tools I need to get to fully check out the electronics as I have to look up "DVM" and how to conduct a proper Diode test - as a CPU systems integrator, I like to be comprehensive with this analog marvel and get it back to 100% health.

Also, are you aware with a resource for replacement parts?

Thanks again.

JP

Hi JP,
Most parts are available from the common electronics market and I get a lot of stuff from Mouser Electronics in TX. In cases where rubber parts other than belts are concerned, I have Terry at Terrysrubberrollers.com do the rebuilds. They are as good as originals. He has done some 100 pinch rollers and tachometer rollers for me.
http://www.terrysrubberrollers.com/

New threads

Members online

No members online now.