Latency issue when using Model 24 as an interface

liamtascam

Gear owned
Tascam Model 24
Hey everyone, hope you can help me out with this annoying issue.

I’m using the model 24 as an interface with ableton, but when I record a part into the DAW, it is delayed/adding latency of between 20ms-50ms, depending on how many plugins I have running. I have tried changing all kinds of plug-in-compensation settings on ableton, but to no avail. Similarly, I can temporarily fix it by adjusting the driver error compensation in ableton’s preferences, but as the latency changes from project to project or as I add or remove plugins, it doesn’t really solve the issue.

I’m not sure whether this is an issue with the model 24, ableton, or my computer, but it is incredibly frustrating! Has anyone encountered this kind of thing before?

Have you tried monitoring through an Aux send instead of the Master out?

No, but the latency is being recorded onto the tracks so I’m not sure it’s a monitoring issue.

yeah, I probably should’ve asked that first. I’ve never run into any latency issues recording from my 24 into my DAW.

there’s a Tascam 12/16/24 group on Facebook and a guy called Tascam Sam from Tascam answers questions frequently. I’d post there.

Thanks! I can’t join the group for some reason but I’ll reach out to Tascam Sam.

he’s helped me by dm, so you should be good.

Unless I'm mistaken, Tascam Sam is @SkywaveTDR here on The Tascam Forums.

But what you are experiencing is not an issue with the Model 12. Latency is inherent in all these types of digital interfaces. Your DAW is not properly compensating for that latency. Reaper users never have that issue because of Reaper's PDC.

No, but the latency is being recorded onto the tracks so I’m not sure it’s a monitoring issue.

@liamtascam if you have latency in your monitoring and you are doing performance based tracks, your playing will be based on the timing that you are hearing. Therefore the recording will be behind even further. Most people monitor off of the interface and not through the DAW for that reason.

However, if the performances are good, you can simply line them up in the DAW after.

@-mjk- Yep, I know about the latency inherent in monitoring from DAWs so I always monitor from the analog mixer channel. It definitely could be an issue with the model 24 not reporting the right latency to the DAW, hence the existence of driver error compensation.

Reactions: -mjk-

New threads

Members online