LED Screen Upgrade Is Brilliant

J L Bowie

From
Calgary, Alberta
Gear owned
DM4800
So, I think this upgrade deserves its own thread, which will, hopefully, dispel any trepidation one might have about replacing the stock LCD.
I received mine from LuxDisplays yesterday and installed it today. The difference is night and day when it comes to clarity... no contest. My old display only had a single thin blue line that appeared last month, so it wasn't on its last legs by any means, was still clear in every other way as the day I bought it ten years ago, but this new LED is really something. And it didn't cost any more than a replacement LCD from Tascam.
I also installed the 2Seemy I bought about four years ago along with it, and have decided to keep it, too. Nice having the larger screen also.
Anyway, it took about a month to get it, what with covid and all, but was easy to install. I'll gather my thoughts over the next few days and post some pictures accompanied by a definitive how-to while everything is still fresh.

One thing I want to pass along right away in case anyone is in the midst of installing, or thinking about it and that has to do with the connection from the new LED display to the contrast control on the DM4800/3200: Instead of prying off the Molex connector on the console to bare the pins so the included female connector from the display will fit, steal the connector from the old LCD DM Sub board that drives the contrast. You won't need it anymore anyway, and you won't risk breaking anything. Just splice it in. I did a solder splice and shrink tubed it, but good old electrical tape will do.

I will be back with the promised outline and pictures as soon as I can, but you can also PM me if you need any help with it for now.

Jack

Thank you for following up with us Jack. It sounds like your experience with the replacement unit has been a positive one so far. Looking forward to a future "How To" as mentioned in your original post. A link to the product / manufacturers website would be much appreciated as well. Best of luck. Have a great evening. Peter

Reactions: skier
Jack, I second Peter's thanks and look forward to your photos and outline also. We appreciate your taking the time to share your experience and tips.

Jerry

Yes, very nice to hear of your positive experience! Please let us know where/how to get this LED display and I'm also interested in your 'How to'. Just this week, after years of using my original Tascam replacement display, I saw a single line appear.. It also disappeared after an hour, but still..

Reactions: -mjk-
I purchased mine through eBay.ca, but this is the same unit via Luxdisplays that I bought and installed:

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Tascam-DM-4800-Custom-Graphic-LED-Display/154008722277

I will likely need to confer with a moderator about uploading pictures as I can't readily see a way on my own. Might have to set up a link for that, I suppose.
In any event, the seller is very reliable and helpful, and if you follow the instructions specifically (Not rocket science, by the way) you will be satisfied with the result.
Although his instructions are very specific, I promise to follow through with documentation of my experience, and either via this thread or PM, to be as helpful as I can to anyone undertaking this upgrade. It is a far better option than replacing with another Tascam LCD.

@J L Bowie just use a 3rd party host for your photos and post the link. Google photos works fine.

Reactions: Peter Batah
Thanks for sharing this, I just ordered one myself. I would have preferred to get a 2seemy, but it doesn't appear they'll be back in business any time soon.

Erick

Last edited:
Just heard from Stephen at LuxDisplays to let me know he has sourced the Molex plug for the Contrast plugin, so there will no longer be any need to pry the old female plug off, or splice the old dimmer board plug during installation of the LED display. Absolutely plug and play now, which will make the install much smoother.

That's great news! I've ordered one. I have 2seemy, but the old display is almost illegible.
Hoping the install will be painless.
Thanks!

As long as you follow the instructions specifically you shouldn't have any issues. I'm preparing a pdf with photos and instructions with a little more specificity to go along with/expand on the seller's already explicit guide.
One area that seems to have confused some who have undertaken this change in displays, is the zif connector that the flat ribbon cable connects to. The one on the new LED display is double-sided, meaning it has a row of teeth that can penetrate a ribbon cable on both sides. Although there is a protective strip on one side of the resident Tascam cable to protect it from penetration, if you insert it upside down it will penetrate the wrong side, thereby reversing the signal/power flow, likely damaging the display. Stephen is working on a source for a single sided connector to eliminate the issue, but for now it remains.
Just remember that the ribbon connector goes in in exactly the same orientation on the new LED display as it did on the original Tascam LCD display, with the side containing the printed writing face up.
Also, the ribbon connector is disconnected from the zif with a gentle but firm and even tug straight out, and reconnected with a gentle but firm and even push in.
I'm trying to get that pdf done as soon as I can (Almost finished), but am happy to assist if you message me. I get notifications on my phone and should be able to get back to you fairly quickly, depending of course on where you are in the world and whether or not our sleep schedules mesh. ;)

Installed mine today, works great and quick and easy to do if you follow the seller's instructions. A few notes:

- If you watch cmaffia's video on how to open up the desk, it bears repeating here that DM-4800 users additionally need to remove the two screws above and below the memory card slot. Not optional.
- Using a small, thin knife it's easy to gently pry off the Molex plug in order to bare the pins.
- Turning the blue trimmer clockwise, it took longer than expected before I started to see some definition on the screen. Keep at it, slow and steady.

Very happy with this solution, and the image quality is indeed superior to the old screen's.

Last edited:
As long as you follow the instructions specifically you shouldn't have any issues. I'm preparing a pdf with photos and instructions with a little more specificity to go along with/expand on the seller's already explicit guide.
One area that seems to have confused some who have undertaken this change in displays, is the zif connector that the flat ribbon cable connects to. The one on the new LED display is double-sided, meaning it has a row of teeth that can penetrate a ribbon cable on both sides. Although there is a protective strip on one side of the resident Tascam cable to protect it from penetration, if you insert it upside down it will penetrate the wrong side, thereby reversing the signal/power flow, likely damaging the display. Stephen is working on a source for a single sided connector to eliminate the issue, but for now it remains.
Just remember that the ribbon connector goes in in exactly the same orientation on the new LED display as it did on the original Tascam LCD display, with the side containing the printed writing face up.
Also, the ribbon connector is disconnected from the zif with a gentle but firm and even tug straight out, and reconnected with a gentle but firm and even push in.
I'm trying to get that pdf done as soon as I can (Almost finished), but am happy to assist if you message me. I get notifications on my phone and should be able to get back to you fairly quickly, depending of course on where you are in the world and whether or not our sleep schedules mesh. ;)

Thanks for your excellent info!
Much appreciation for your offer of assistance.
I haven't received the display yet and I think I'll wait for your pdf tutorial before I jump in.
Thanks!

Yeah, this is all great info. Thanks for sharing!

Apologies for revisiting this old thread, but ,y original DM 4800 display is really starting to die, and I can't seem to find any available Lux Display LED replacements available anywhere. HELP?! Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you!!

Last I looked this shop on Reverb had them. Currently shows as ‘away’ but may be on holiday?
https://reverb.com/shop/matts-boutique-370

I found the eBay info from when I bought one last year - could try reaching out to Stephen?
Business details
Business name: LUX Displays LTDAddress: Registered Office, Covent Garden, WC2H 9JQ London, United Kingdom
Phone Number: 447914979149
Email: stephen@luxdisplays.com

Reactions: realdeal73
Thank you for your help It looks like the Reverb shop has no stock, but maybe I can message them. I'll definitely send a message to Stephen - thank you again!

Definitely message him (SNAFU on Reverb) - I think the LED screens are still available (i have one in my Dm-24 and one for my Dm-4800 on the way).

Thank you! All sorted now, hopefully. The upgrade LED screens were listed again yesterday on Reverb, so I bagged one straight away! Looking forward to it arriving - my poor old screen has got nearly twenty lines on it now (only five a month ago!).

Reactions: mixerizer
Good luck and read the instructions carefully - he is always around to help if u have questions. While my mixer is open I wanna clean/deox the buttons.

Reactions: -mjk-

New threads

Members online

No members online now.