Live mixing WHILE recording to sd card?

E-ROK

Gear owned
Model 12
Hi all - I use my model 12 for running live sound at shows sometimes, and I’d like to record these shows sometimes using the onboard sd card.
I can’t seem to find anything about this in the forum.
I’m guessing I’d have to plug in a room mic to a channel and switch that channel to mtr, press record on that channel, and press record at the display? Can I have one channel be mtr and recording while all the others are going to the main mix and being sent to the room PA and speakers?
There’s no way to have a channel be both producing a live signal AND be recorded on the sd card at the same time, correct?
For people using the model 12 for live sound who want to also record those shows - how are they doing it?

E-Rok

They are pressing Record as the Model 12 records the main mix every time you use the Record function for recording anything.

Reactions: Max Relic
Thanks mjk -
If I can just push record at the display and capture the live mix as a recording, that’s great to know. I’ll try that again.

Most of the time my live mix for the room (the mix going to the main fader) is different than what I’d want in a stereo recording. I’m also typically using Aux 1 and 2 for monitors and fx, so can’t create a separate mix using those. Ideally I could have a room mic recording at the same time - so I can have that signal to blend with the live mix for a more complete representation of the show sound. So, I’m wondering if I dedicated channels 9/10 to a stereo room mic and changed those channels to MTR (not LIVE), not assign it to the main, and pressed record on the channel and at the display, could I have both 9/10 channel AND the live main mix recorded? So I’d end I with a file with the 9/10 stereo tracks and the main fader mix to mix down together later?

Yes, you can have a couple of stereo room mics on channels 9/10. You would actually want the channel set to "live" but the fader turned all the way down so that it doesn't loopback into your live mix. Arm the channels to record and you will have a room mix on 9/10 when you are complete. Remember that you can arm pretty much all of your channels to record and when you are done you will have a recording of individual tracks from the night of live performance that you can then upload into your daw of choice. Onboard effects will only print onto the stereo main Mix.

@E-ROK
The Model 12 features higher quality preamps on channels 1 to 6, for important mic recording I would suggest you choose any of such inputs and leave inputs 8-10 for less important (or externally preamplified) mics, line level instruments or outboard gear. If you want to exclude a channel from the main mix simply switch off (up) the dedicated button, you can still be able to use the fader for adjusting after-fader Aux Sends level. As already said, you can choose which channel to record on its own track (and which not) by pressing the Rec button (arming) under the Pan pot.

Later edit

Seems I accidentally omitted a crucial point: stereo channel strips 7/8 and 9/10 have asimmetrical preamp structure, in that the Left channel has a Combo phantom powered XLR socket + 1/4" TRS while the Right has 1/4" TRS which isn't phantom powered; XLR input gain goes 0 - +50 dB, TRS Line -20 - +30 dB. You can't (or shouldn't) simply plug two microphones on each side of 7/8 or 9/10 and expect to have a good/balanced representation of the scene, unless the mics are externally preamplified before going to the Model 12.

Last edited:
Yes, you can have a couple of stereo room mics on channels 9/10. You would actually want the channel set to "live" but the fader turned all the way down so that it doesn't loopback into your live mix. Arm the channels to record and you will have a room mix on 9/10 when you are complete. Remember that you can arm pretty much all of your channels to record and when you are done you will have a recording of individual tracks from the night of live performance that you can then upload into your daw of choice. Onboard effects will only print onto the stereo main Mix.

Could you also just use the mute button on those channels?....or does the mute button stop the recording of those channels to the SD card?

New threads

Members online