Looking for help with my old 424 (light gray)

Mason Astley

Gear owned
Portastudio 424
We pulled my old 4 track out of storage, and within a few days, it has stopped working. It still powers on and the lights go on, but all of the buttons that make the tape motors move are dead. The capstan motor continuously spins, but I cannot play, record, fast forward or reverse. What are my next steps?

If it was in storage and the unit not maintained recently a belt is the most likely issue but it can be more than that as the grease they used might have hardened and is giving resistance to the transport moving. All rubber parts and the grease in the transport would need to be addressed as any old unit sitting around would need. These are the simple facts with this kind of equipment and that of letting it sit.

Solved!

I opened it up and the button that senses that there is a tape was dislodged. It would not engage the motor thinking there was no tape. It was easy to pop back in and now works like a charm.

Great, Many times things can be this simple but Technicians that work on this do these checks almost without thinking so we might not tell you to check that.

New threads

Members online