Looking for microphone recommendation

Jaycat

Gear owned
Tascam DP-008
Hey all. Looking for mic recommendation to use for vocals/acoustic guitar on a DP-008. Something better than the built-ins but still under $100.

Your help is appreciated!

No @Emma Boyd. The OP was looking for vocal/acoustic guitar mic recommendations. I prefer condenser mics for recording those sources. It has nothing specifically to do with any device or medium. Dynamic mics have their place too.

Welcome to the forums, btw!

Thank you. That's good to know. How do you rate a Shure SM58 for recording rock/pop vocals?

@Emma Boyd if you're asking me, I would never use a dynamic microphone for recording vocals, unless it was all I have. I've been spoiled by working in the biggest studio in Boston that had a high number of vintage tube condenser mics. In my personal studio I have a modern tube condenser mic that I use for everything.

I am not an SM58 fan. At all.

Reactions: Mark Richards
Thanks for your thoughts MJK. I also have a Behringer C-1 condenser mic so may experiment more with that. I guess it all comes down to taste at the end of the day.

Reactions: -mjk-
I guess it all comes down to taste at the end of the day.
Originally introduced as a studio mic, Shure now markets the SM58 as a stage vocal mic: "... the industry standard for live performance..." The on-axis 2kHz-7kHz bump in its frequency response is ideal for enhancing vocal clarity, while the cardiod pattern is ideal for minimizing feedback in that frequency range.

Good condensor mics are typically flat 20Hz to 20kHz, meant to capture the unaltered sound of the source.

So actually, it comes down to choosing the right tool for the specific job.

That choice depends on any a number of diverse variables, and that's why a Neuman U87 costs 100x more than a Berringer C-1.

Some mics function well in a variety of situations; others are well suited to particular uses.

The online audio stores, as well as the manufacturers, all have informative literature about choosing microphones. If you have a music store nearby that sells pro gear, perhaps pay them a visit and demo different mics.

You're the only one, really, who can assess what will work best for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk-
Use the tool that works best: if the singer wants a handmike and performs better doing so, let the singer use the handmike he/she likes. One big advantage is that the singer is already familiar with the use and can get physical while doing the track - instead of standing neatly in front of the mic stand with pop screen. Some examples of people recording with a dynamic:
Bono (U2) - Shure Beta-58A / SM-57
Steven Tyler (Aerosmith), John Lennon, Sufjan Stevens, The Killers - Shure SM-57
Björk, PJ Harvey - Shure SM-58
(BTW, Shure SM stands for Studio Microphone!)

Thank you. That's good to know. How do you rate a Shure SM58 for recording rock/pop vocals?

I'd use your C1 instead. Most Large Diaphram Condensers will outperform the sm58 in a studio, BUT it largely depends on the voice/instrument being recorded. You could maybe hire a condensor from a hire company to try out some mics?

Use the tool that works best: if the singer wants a handmike and performs better doing so, let the singer use the handmike he/she likes. One big advantage is that the singer is already familiar with the use and can get physical while doing the track - instead of standing neatly in front of the mic stand with pop screen. Some examples of people recording with a dynamic:
Bono (U2) - Shure Beta-58A / SM-57
Steven Tyler (Aerosmith), John Lennon, Sufjan Stevens, The Killers - Shure SM-57
Björk, PJ Harvey - Shure SM-58
(BTW, Shure SM stands for Studio Microphone!)

That's good advice, thanks. Interesting to know the mic choices of those artists too (I'm a PJ fan). I didn't realise SM stood for Studio Mic - every day's a school day!

Bazzbass, thanks for the idea to hire some mics - that hadn't occurred to me. I'll also give the C-1 another go.

Reactions: Arjan P and -mjk-

New threads

Members online

No members online now.