M-Audio Keystudio->MBP->DM4800->MIDIModule=0= help please

Drumstruck

Veteran
Gear owned
DM4800 + DV-RA1000HD
Hi All,

Requesting a little sage advice please...... I'm having some trouble getting MIDI traffic happening end to end. It's nearly there..... but could someone help?

Current setup:

1/ DM4800 -> MBP over firewire-> PT9 = 100% functional including remote layer

2/ M-Audio KeyStudio -> MBP MIDI over USB -> Garageband -> DM4800 over firewire card in = 100% functional for generation of MIDI sounds

3/ Yamaha MIDI kb -> GigKat MIDI module over MIDI -> DM4800 line ins = 100% functional

So I know all components work and talk to one another, and I know that I have DM4800<->MBP MIDI over USB nearly right......

What I can't get is the leg of MIDI traffic from MBP -> DM4800 over USB -> GigKat over MIDI DIN

Any help would be great - ty

Re: M-Audio Keystudio->MBP->DM4800->MIDIModule=0= help pleas

... and another test showed that:

MIDI kb -> DM4800 MIDI DIN in -> DM4800 MIDI DIN thru -> GigKat module -> DM4800 line ins also works.....

So I'm thinking it's something between the MIDI filter bank and the MBP MIDI setup.... frustrating :cry:

I'm confused with what you are actually trying to do. What do you want your keyboard to do? Trigger MIDI events in DAW?

Hi cmaffia,

I am trying to achieve a few things - perhaps a little explanation of the gear I have would help.

I have:
1/ Xylosynth MIDI mallet instrument that sends MIDI notes and program data from a single MIDI out port - it does not send MSB / LSB data or have USB

2/ MIDI sound module that requires MSB / LSB data to change banks via a single MIDI in port - it does not have USB

3/ MacBookPro (MBP) that runs NI Kontakt 5 and samples

4/ DM-4800 - connected to the MBP via firewire/USB

5/ USB(MIDI) keyboard that will send MSB / LSB data connected to the MBP USB in

I want to:
1/ Use the Xylosynth to trigger sounds in the MIDI sound module and/or Kontakt in the MBP

2/ Use the USB/MIDI keyboard to send MSB/LSB control messages to the sound module

To achieve this I need to have bi-directional MIDI communication between the MBP and the DM-4800 (for MIDI notes, program, MSB and LSB) ..... I believe this is over USB interface port 2.

)Currently, the DM-4800 / MBP setup works perfectly running PT9 and WaveLab8 including remote layer control surface.)

Thanks for reading - any advice would be appreciated. :D

I suggest using the Firewire/MIDI port for the Xylosynth, or for any keyboard triggering midi device. I've found the DM/FW midi connection is slightly faster than the USB option resulting in less latency while sequencing.

CaptDan

Thats what I thought you were trying to do. Yes (as per firewire card instructions) if you want to trigger MIDI in your DAW, you're supposed to use the MIDI on the firewire card exclusively.

Thanks gents,

OK, so:

1/ that allows access to the Mac's sample app from my Xylosynth via MIDI over firewire (and also reduces traffic across the USB remote layer connection)

2/ that also allows the DAW (MIDI tracks) to access the external MIDI module via the MIDI over firewire output

3/ .... if I add a MIDI splitter I should also access the external MIDI module directly from the Xylosynth....

4/ (hopefully) allows traffic from the Keyboard controller (connected to the Mac via USB) passage to the external MIDI module via the firewire MIDI out....

More testing ;-)

p.s. I guess this means that the firewire MIDI I/O does not link to the DM's onboard MIDI/USB I/O..........

After a fair bit more testing (to the stage where it now becomes time wasting....) I have ditched the h/w module - the MBP couldn't see it as a MIDI device so there is something more wrong than me (whew).

Have moved to using EastWest s/w products now.

cheers

Hello - ALL.

Somewhere in here, you forgot that there are two perfectly good midi ports in the back of the DM that do exactly what you are trying to do. I only use the midi ports in both my FW card and the ports in the back of the DM to control "stuff." I got a lotta stuff.

Get a USB to midi converter ($40 tops) and put that in the Mac. You'll be happy. You also have to mess with the MIDI signal flow page in the DM for the board's physical midi in/ out ports.

Hi jamsire,

Thanks - the DM MIDI ports were the first ones I tried - in the end I don't think it's a DM issue and have returned the GigKat as I'd rather be making music than ukkn around with MIDI configs :LOL: .

I think you're right about the MIDI-USB convertor - that's the the way I'm going - any recommendations on a good model for Mac compatibility? :?:

I was always under the impression that if I wanted to control VST's in my DAW that I needed to use specifically the MIDI IN on the firewire expansion card. Are you saying that I could also use the MIDI in on the Tascam DM3200 itself and if so what device would I choose in my DAW?

Ummmmmmmmm...............confusing question. In my video showing the use of UDL (User Defined Layer), I am showing how I control the faders in Cubase without the use of the Remote Layer, and having the use of the on board EQ's and Dynamic effects in 32 channels of FW returns from Cubase. But I use both the FW card and the MIDI In/ Outs in the back. You just have to program the the data flow in the MIDI Utility Screen.

Drumstruck said:
Hi jamsire,

Thanks - the DM MIDI ports were the first ones I tried - in the end I don't think it's a DM issue and have returned the GigKat as I'd rather be making music than ukkn around with MIDI configs :LOL: .

I think you're right about the MIDI-USB convertor - that's the the way I'm going - any recommendations on a good model for Mac compatibility? :?:

There are several products - but the M-Audio one seems to be the best one. The pro way to go is the MOTU MTPAV USB. Pricey, but super awesome.

jamsire said:
Ummmmmmmmm...............confusing question. In my video showing the use of UDL (User Defined Layer), I am showing how I control the faders in Cubase without the use of the Remote Layer, and having the use of the on board EQ's and Dynamic effects in 32 channels of FW returns from Cubase. But I use both the FW card and the MIDI In/ Outs in the back. You just have to program the the data flow in the MIDI Utility Screen.
Sorry to confuse. My question had nothing to do with your video. The question is what's the difference was between the MIDI IN's and OUT's on the DM3200 and the Firewire card?

The physical MIDI ports can be utilized to carry different data through their ports. The FW card doesn't really do MTC well.

New threads

Members online