Managing file names of recordings & importing to computer

x94hf6

Newbie here - is there anyway to change the file names of the recordings made by the DP32SD within the machine? I have multiple folders (i.e. songs) with recordings made on different tracks and they're all just named ZZ0000_1.wav, ZZ0000_2.wav, ZZ0001_1.wav, etc., regardless of the song name or track number. I imagine changing the file names directly on the SD card itself via Mac OSX's Finder is a bad idea, as the Tascam would get confused, right?

The reason I'm asking is because comping takes on the DP32 doesn't really seem possible without laborious workarounds, so I'm just taking the recordings I've made and bringing them into Logic to do comping and detailed editing there. However, it's pretty useless to have countless wav files named ZZ0001 in my Logic project folder for every single song I make, with no reference to the instrument or anything. (Compared to Logic, which labels recorded WAVs using the track's name and take, e.g. Shaker#01, Snare#04).

Does anyone else run into this problem? Would the best method be to copy the "ZZ" wav files to my Mac, listen to each, manually label those as I please (leaving the original recordings on the SD card named as they are), and then import the WAVs I labeled into Logic?

Any help is much appreciated!

The ZZ000n files are internal workfiles for the machine so shouldn't really be touched. They may look like one file per track at first, but they'll grow in number if you edit, undo, re-record etc. You should use the export system for each track. This will convert the relevant ZZ files into complete time-aligned wave files (one per track) and store them in the AudioDepot folder. The filenames are based on the song name suffixed with the track no. You can transfer these to the Mac and comp as reqd. The files will remain in the AudioDepot folder, so you can delete them manually or overwrite them in the next step.
To reverse the process, transfer your comp'd files into AudioDepot and import each one to the reqd. track. The import process will delete the files from AudioDepot as they are imported.

Thanks for your reply! That helps clear some things up.

Can you export all virtual tracks in each track to AudioDepot? For example, say I have five virtual tracks (takes) on Track 1 and want to export all of those to the computer. Can I do that all at once via AudioDepot? Or will I only be able to export the virtual track that's currently being used on Track 1 (say take 2), and then have to return to that track in the main screen and activate each separate virtual track and then export them to AudioDepot one at a time?

Interesting question - had to check to make sure. Seems like you can only export the current tracks so you have to load each virtual track before it can be exported. I think exported files are automatically named so as not to clash with existing ones, but best to double-check after the first couple of exports. Sounds quite a tedious process if you've done all your retakes this way :(
I stick with current tracks for retakes if possible, i.e. just assign the input(s) to the next free track(s) and retake. You can only record 8 tracks at once anyway so you'd get a few stabs before having to resort to virtual tracks - just need to keep notes of which track is which! You can also compare retakes very easily on playback via the faders. This was one of my justifications for getting the 32-track version if anyone is still deliberating.

New threads

Members online