Max rec time on DR-40

cipherhost

Gear owned
DR-40
I have a 4 gig SDHC card in my DR-40 and when I hit record it provides 1:02:06 total record time. I bought a 64 gig SDXC Lexar card and I still see a max record time of 1:02:06. Is this the max record time regardless of disc size? Larger disc size only allows more 1:02:06 recorded files?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Never mind. I found my answer in the online version of the manual. I don't see where I can delete this thread.

Last edited:
No need to delete the tread - someone might be having the same question and find this topic. Ofcourse, sharing the answer would be nice.. ;)

Reactions: cipherhost
You're right! So, while the online manual appears to have slightly different menus than my DR-40, it did give me the info I needed. It appears the max file size for a single file is 2 gig. (It can be lowered to 64M, 128M, 256M,512M or 1 gig file sizes.) Depending on the recording quality you choose to record at, different max recording times will be reported. For the 24 bit WAV format at a 48k sample rate you get 2:04:12 of recording time before you reach 2 gigs. That's not such a big deal because if you reach that limit, it just rolls over into a new file. At the default 16 bit, 44.1k combination, you get 3:22:47. So, it looks like if you have a 64 gig card, you can fit about 32 files, which means ~107 hours at 16bit/44.1k or ~36 hours at 24bit/48k. Those were all times based on using the stereo setting. I hope my interpretation of the manual is correct and it can help someone else. Cheers!

Does anyone know a way of reducing the max file length at Wav 16 bit? Basically we recorded 6 hours of audio the other night, first 3 hours, 22 mins were fine and then the security pulled the mains supply on the dj booth at the end of the night (Tascam was running off the USB mains) it didn't write the final 3 hours back to the SD card and caused a lot of issues! I love my Tascam to bits but this is so upsetting!

> ... [when] the security pulled the mains supply on the dj booth at the end of the night (Tascam was running off the USB mains) it didn't write the final 3 hours...

There is probably little you can do to recover from that loss, but you can avoid it in the future by simultaneously powering the recorder with both USB and internal battery. The recorder will gracefully switch to battery if the USB source fails.

Thanks @GTBecker how is that possible? It asks if I want to use USB Bus Power when the mains is connected. I have a feeling this happened before and sadly it didn't jump to the internal full batteries unless I need to change an option in the menu?

I believe the only menu option that deals with power is Alkaline/Ni-MH - but all that does is change the battery full-charge calibration.

With fresh batteries installed, power-up the recorder, then plug in the USB power source and answer the "USB Select" prompt with "Bus Power". The battery indicator should change to a USB icon and the recorder will be powered by USB.

Press Record and, while recording, remove the USB power source. The battery indicator should change to battery and recording should continue unaffected. This simulates your house power loss.

If you then reconnect and disconnect USB power, the battery indicator will alternate between USB and battery, following the power source.

Tom

Last edited:

New threads

Members online

No members online now.