Soundaholic
From
Montreal, Canada
Website
www.cafejoya.com
Gear owned
DM4800 / MU1000
Hello all,

I am looking at purchasing a microphone and was hoping to get your input. However, before posting I was wondering if this sub-forum was the correct place to do so.

Thank you

Peter

Seems like a good place to me.. So what would you mostly want to use the mic for?

Thank you so much for the prompt reply @Arjan P

For the time being I would like to use the mic mainly for vocals and acoustic guitar. Perhaps, a guitar cab as well, but not urgent at the moment. And, I have a $400 - $500 budget,

Well for that budget you should be able to get a more than decent Large Diaphragm Condenser mic. For its versatility (multi-pattern) and sound I very much like my Rode NT-2A, but my Studio Pro C1 is for some vocals also very nice.

Ofcourse mic choice also depends on the mics you already have - you'd want a new mic to possibly have a sound/ character that adds to the ones you already have.

This would be the first mic going into my mic locker so-to-speak. The first mic purchase since the late 70's. Sad isn't it.

I was looking at the Roswell Pro Audio Mini K47. Seems to be the YouTube superstar at the moment. I don't know a thing about the product except for what I have seen / heard online. Frankly, even if I were to buy that mic online, by the time it arrived it would have cost me $500 in Canadian dollars. So, I feel that I should be able to spend that amount on a decent mic here where I am located and help a local retailer while I am at it.

I have never used a Rode microphone but have read / heard good things. However, I am not familiar with the Studio Pro C1. I am not qualified enough to know what one should be looking for in a good mic (technically speaking)

Ah, well if it's the first one, you'd want a versatile one, I think.

I'd never heard of the Mini K47 but just read the SOS review for it and it's pretty good. I wouldn't buy it as a 'one for all' mic though, since it has a definite 'sound' and also no low cut filter or attenuator switch. Also not multi-pattern, but that's less important IMO.

I should have written the full name, it's the Studio Projects C1, rather than just 'Pro'. Just also re-read the Rode NT-2A SOS review, and forgot to mention that it is super quiet - very hard to get noise from this one. Another similar mic, also in price, (I never tried it) is the SE Electronics sE2200a.

And 'technically speaking', I think there's no recipe for a 'good' mic. I've used a single Sony stereo electret mic for years as a room mic to record band rehearsals and it gave fantastic results - it was a € 30 mic... OTOH, there are some cheap mics on the market now that I'd only use as a door stop - sounding horrible and bad build quality..

Good day all~ After a 10 yr hiatus & liquidation of everything, I'm getting back into it with the Tascam Model 24... So far I have an Equitek E100 for electric guitar, but for recording my custom 12 string acoustic, (& single micing a 6 string on omni), thinking I'd put a larger diaphragm mic capable of an omni pattern on the sound hole, & put the E100 on the neck. Anything exceptional for $200 250 or less,,, if something sticks out for a little more, I'll live. Thanks all & best of health~

Your title says 'Multi Pattern' but if you're looking for a very flat omni mic like you mention, The Behringer ECM-8000 is a very good and cheap choice. Though it's marketed as a measurement mic, and it's not large diaphragm, IMO it's the best value for money mic I have.

Thanks, Well, I want omni for acoustics, both uni for vox & gates... I'll never use figure 8, but omni & uni a must have. This is for home recording, but having been an engineer, sound-dude & player for decades, & now rebuilding things, I don't a U87 or even a 414,,,, I know my mics from owning & having worked in a 'real' studio... but I'm not up on what's new, exciting & under 300 these days. CAD has some nice pickings, & will look into any & all recommendations.
Peace & health to to all~

A very nice allround mic you may want to look into is the Røde NT2-A. LDC, multi-pattern and quite a nice sound - and around your price point.

Hi all,,, Okay,,,I've found several great mics under $300
Any thoughts on these for the soundhole on 12 string, single mixing a 6 string, & possibly some vox?
RODE NT2-A & (RM2 clip)
AUDIO TECHNICA AT2050
CAD M179
CAD E300S

Again, many thanks.
Kenny

Last edited:
Just to add my 2 cents. I have an EV PL80 that I bought in 1984. I've used that for stage vocals, micing cabinets, acoustic guitar and several other things that worked quite well. I've also got a Rode NT1a that's good for several things as well. Yesterday I used both simultaneously for an acoustic track that had a pretty big sound.

Reactions: -mjk-
I also like to use multiple mics for acoustic instruments.

Hi all,,, Okay,,,I've found several great mics under $300
Any thoughts on these for the soundhole on 12 string, single mixing a 6 string, & possibly some vox?
RODE NT2-A & (RM2 clip)
AUDIO TECHNICA AT2050
CAD M179
CAD E300S

Again, many thanks.
Kenny

Kenny, @Arjan P mentioned the Rode mic you're asking about.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.