Soundaholic
From
Montreal, Canada
Website
www.cafejoya.com
Gear owned
DM4800 / MU1000
Hello all.

I am in the process of shopping for a pop filter. Your thoughts / suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you. Peter

Reactions: skier and -mjk-
Hi Peter.

I made a photo album for you to look at: https://photos.app.goo.gl/haUqLzSvrzubcLAaA

Basically there are 2 types: the kind that clips, sits on, or otherwise attaches to the microphone itself, and the kind that attaches to the microphone mounting system somewhere.

Of those, there are subtypes too: Foam, screen, fabric, single layer, double layer. There may be more!

In the album you will find a couple interesting ones:

The round one is a double layer fabric and is the most effective. I can basically spit at the mic and nothing will happen. But the fact that the filter is mounted on a gooseneck with a clamp drives me nuts sometimes because it moves (falls due to gravity) over time. I like to use the filter as a spacer when I'm singing vocals and when it's moving it is a PITN.

Some engineers run the gooseneck over the top of the mic so it hangs down instead of being held up. It takes experimentation to get it where you need it, and to get it to stay put.

The parabolic filter sure looks cool. But, it's a single layer screen and it's not as effective as the fabric (and that one also being double-layer). Again, even with it's cool looks, it falls too. All these gooseneck filters can be unscrewed from the gooseneck and fitted with a static bolt and worked with the clamp somehow or even attached to the spider iself.

My favorite by far is the one that clamps onto the microphone body with rubber bands. That one goes nowhere. It's also a screen, however it is a finer mesh than the parabolic and it's effective enough for close micing vocals (within reason). After working with it I want to get another one of those for each mic I have. I keep my main condenser mic on a boom arm and that pop filter always stays in place.

Btw, never leave a foam "clown nose" pop filter on a microphone, especially a condenser. As the foam ages, it crumbles into dust and that will trash the mic. When i'm not using mine, I put a large ziploc bag over it.

@-mjk- Thanks for the photo link and the great product info. Apparently, they also come in a metal flavor as well. I suppose that this would make it easier to wash. Case in point:

https://www.long-mcquade.com/1732/P...x_Electronics/5-inch_All_Metal_Pop_Filter.htm

Most of what I have read vis-à-vis the clamp on system has been quite negative. Most of the complaints are that the goose neck does not stay in place or that the screw on mechanism tends to wear down very quickly. I would prefer to invest in a product that will last longer than a month or two.

Reactions: skier
That link looks just like mine. It filters well but I don't like using it because it falls down.

In the old days we used to have a pop filter with a mic stand adapter on the end of it. That way we could hold it very securely with a microphone stand anywhere we wanted it to be.

@-mjk- Thanks again for all that great information. Much appreciated as always.

Reactions: -mjk-
YVW Peter. As always, we need photos of what you end up with.

@Peter Batah, because I don't sing, I can't offer much with selecting pop filters. However, one thing I did learn working with radio mics years ago, and suggested to other band mates when playing professionally, is that if you are experiencing plosives when you speak or sing, move the mic or your position so that the mic is to the left or right side of your face and you're speaking past it - it can really reduce or eliminate a lot of problems*. I'm not saying that it's better than a good-working windscreen, just that it's helpful when in a pinch without a screen, or with a screen that isn't working well. So it can also help if the screen is just one thin layer or if the screen you're using just doesn't work well to begin with.

* Jerry's HOT recording tips. :D

@skier Actually, that is a red HOT recording tip. Great suggestion. Thanks J.

Reactions: skier and -mjk-
In my early days of recording, we used to mic singers from overhead with the mic pointing down toward the singer, who would be singing straight ahead and not upward.

Personally (and as a singer) I prefer a simple, round 2 or 3 layer cloth pop filter on a gooseneck (there are good goosenecks out there too!). I don't see why it should be half round or parabolic since the source is always one mouth.. I don't believe an all-metal one does enough of what it needs to do.

The combined spider and pop filter also works great! (I think the cheap ali express one was a copy of the Rode combo I have with the NT2-A).

@Arjan P I spotted a few on Amazon and have added those to my wishlist. Eg. K&M Pop Killer, Stedman PS101, Shure Popper Stopper. They all seem to pretty much do the same thing. The common complaint is usually the mechanics / quality of the hardware that clamps to the mic stand.

Thanks for your input.

Reactions: -mjk-

New threads

Members online

No members online now.