Model 12 and BeatBuddy

Mark Nicholson

From
San Diego, CA
Gear owned
Model 12
Hi Peeps,

I'm a noob here and have just ordered a Model 12 for some home recording projects I have. I'll be using the BeatBuddy drum machine and I intend to plug it into one of the stereo channels as it's a stereo device. Alternatively I could put it into two mono channels, but I don't see why I'd want to do that. Am I on the right track?

Also, I'd like to sync the MIDIs as the BB has a MIDI output. Has anyone done this and if so, were there any issues?

Thanks in advance,

- Mark

You can connect it either way - whatever works best for you.

Sorry - can’t help you with the midi sync question, but others here have used midi with other machines and have had success, so I wouldn’t anticipate any problems.

No prob - I'm glad I could help!

I may want to put a bug in your ear regarding the Beat Buddy one of these days ...

Be aware that the Model 12 only transmits sync, ie it has to be the master and the drum machine needs to be in slave mode.

The BeatBuddy is really cool and I'm looking forward to having it permanently plugged into the Model 12.

The BB is performance grade if you put the effort in to learning how to play it like an instrument. I also have a Digitech Trio+ which does not produce the same sound quality but is incredibly easy to set up if you want to vamp over a couple of chords, or just give yourself the skeleton of a rhythm section. I wish the Trio sent out the bass and drums on separate lines, but they are mixed at the Trio itself and all you can do is adjust the volume of the two parts on the Trio front panel.

Ah, first-world problems are the best!

I saw a demo of the Beat Buddy at Gear Fest a few years ago, but have spent any time with it myself since then. For my accompaniment I use a Toraiz SP-16, but I’ve yet to come up with a foot pedal to remotely start and stop it. I’ve had a bit of contact with the makers of the BB about their midi foot pedal and that might be just the trick. Thanks for the info!

New threads

Members online

No members online now.