Model 12 and hooking up a turntable

Floydone

Gear owned
Model 12
I just ordered my Tascam Model 12 for my home project studio and I would like to be able to hook up a quality turntable to it. I know I either need a turntable with a built in preamp or a separate phono preamp for it to work. I looking at either a Pro-Ject or Audio Technica model. My question is what do I need to do to make the actual connection to the Tascam 12. What inputs should I use or can I use any of them, what type of connectors, XLR or 1/4 inch, any other advice on connecting a turntable would be helpful. I’d prefer not to use a Bluetooth turntable as bluetooth is often a “flukey” connection. If anyone can give me some pointers and advice it is greatly appreciated.

take this with a grain of salt, as I have not used a turntable since the 80s when CDs came out. I'm pretty sure the turntable will have RCA outputs, the Tascam might have an aux RCA input you could use, or else get a stereo RCA to XLR cable or an RCA to TRS balanced cable

I would like to be able to hook up a quality turntable to it
You won't find a true quality turntable with Bluetooth - or even with a built-in phono pre-amp (though there could be exceptions here).

BazzBass is right, turntables still have RCA outputs - and AFAIK also the separate phone preamps have RCA inputs and outputs (I have a Behringer one myself, the PP400). And I think you best use 'normal' channels on the Model 12, so you would indeed need RCA-TRS or RCA-XLR cables

Reactions: Floydone
You won't find a true quality turntable with Bluetooth - or even with a built-in phono pre-amp (though there could be exceptions here).

BazzBass is right, turntables still have RCA outputs - and AFAIK also the separate phone preamps have RCA inputs and outputs (I have a Behringer one myself, the PP400). And I think you best use 'normal' channels on the Model 12, so you would indeed need RCA-TRS or RCA-XLR cables

Arjan, thanks for your input. After doing quite a bit more research I discovered here in the USA there is a great small company, UTurn that makes some very nice turntables with or without their own built in preamps. They are all hand made and assembled basic manual TT’s with excellent components, and several options. I just put in my Custom order for one in Red, with Acrylic Platter, Ortofon 2M Red cartridge, Cue Lever and their built-in Pluto Preamp. Cost is $469 US dollars w/ free shipping from their Massachusetts facility. I’ll be ordering some RCA-TRS cables to hook it up to the Tascam 12. I’m think of using Channels 9 &10 on the mixer for the TT hookup. Anyway if you are interested check out U-Turn….

uturnaudio.com

Wow, that looks nice! And seems to be quality stuff too, I'd say 'boutique' turntables.. Have fun with it!

New threads

Members online