Model 12 ASIO very buggy - Windows 11, Ableton 11 - latest FW and driver. See attached video

IliasB

Gear owned
Tascam Model 12
Let's first mention I am an audio developer, so most likely I have done the basics correctly :)

I just bought and configured my Model 12, all OK, except when I started using it with Windows, and Ableton.

I configured multitrack recording, and play back, monitoring the stereo mix only, from inputs 1 and 2, in PC mode.

Often, the meters in Ableton suddenly start pumping - all the same - and the don't show the audio from the device.

When I go through the steps shown in the video, it goes back to working for a while, but it easily goes back into the unuseable mode.

ALSO, it is very prone to horrible digital noise, when Ableton isn't playing back audio.

I've uploaded the video here, it's very short, and it shows both issues - look at the meters, there's no sound obviously:

This issue unfortunately makes the Model 12 unusable for me, is there a solution or should I return it to the store?

The firmware is 1.3, the driver I installed today, so it's the latest.

You see in the beginning of the video, all meters pulsing as if they were all getting the same signal.

Then suddenly they snap back into correctly showing the audio output.

At the end, you also see the red meter peaking, corresponding to the awful shriek it makes when there's nothing playing back. Some sort of digital feedback?

I should also mention, both Windows and Ableton worked fine with the Roland MX-1 mixer/audio interface the Tascam is meant to replace in my setup.

Last edited:
Now THIS is interesting!

Even with the Model 12 switched off, I get the silence and "Meter hopping" seen in the video with the ASIO driver in Ableton!

So somehow the driver loses touch with the device?

What's weird is, with any other audio interface, if I switch it off while it is used, Ableton will immediately go to a mode of "No audio" - but with model 12 the power off is not detected, and the meters still show this hopping.

return it,buggy as heck. I've never encountered any new device with so many issues.Seriously flawed product line imho ymmv

Tascam had such a good name for decades,now being erroded by this one product family. Shame.

Yeah there I was complaining the MX-1 was done badly, actually going back to it doesn't feel like too much of a compromise in the end given my experience with the Model 12.

I've realized the really loud peak when no audio is playing back, is digital feedback. If I mute the track input in Ableton it doesn't happen - which means that every time I want to use that channel I need to flip the PC monitoring switch off, record, then flip it back on, or keep muting /un-muting inputs.

Either way is enough of a hassle that I can just as well write inputs 1 and 2 off entirely when I use the thing as an audio interface.

I've done a lot more testing, swapping out USB cables (connected directly always), using higher buffer sizes, ensuring the windows settings are all optimized for audio, etc.

Still, the driver loses touch with the device, and I keep getting the "pulsing artefact" I show in the video, until I re-establish connection with the device. After that it works for a while, but it always keeps happening.

I'll check also with Tascam support, but unless that's resolved, this thing goes back to the shop pronto I'm afraid...

Some of these might be obvious to you but I am going to list these in case someone else not as experienced comes across these troubleshooting tips.

Your problem sounds like usb power saving or some other soundcard or driver " fighting for control"problem.

First thing I would test is trying to turn the usb power saving off from the power options if you have not already.

Check these Ableton recommended steps, https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/209071469

Also I would check that the computer does not have another sound card as default device. For example motherboards have built in realtek in operating system audio device as default. Switch all sounds in system to Model 12, that way there is no switching from one device to another when you go from Live to Windows desktop. https://www.windowscentral.com/how-manage-sound-settings-windows-11

Additionally, make sure that your power comes from socket that has grounding pins and if possible use same extension cable for your computer and Tascam mixer.

If the problem persists, you could test the Model 12 with Reaper that is small but fully working DAW with nag screen at start so you can see that is the problem Ableton Live. Eliminate computer completely for one time test and try to record standalone with SD card record mode and additionally try it with other computer or tablet to see if the problem happens there. That way you can isolate which part of the setup is culprit.

Windows 11 is still very new and is prone to have some problems with some hardware / driver combinations. Installing latest chipset drivers from your computer/motherboard vendors site is highly recommended because those have under the hood audio updates also. I also recall news about certain motherboards having usb dropouts that was fixed with bios update, see if your hardware manufacturer has bios updates to remedy that issue.

I have been using Model 12 succesfully every week as a computer audio interface and standalone recorder without a problems for a year now. Only time the mixer has had to be power cycled off and on was with daw control on it's initial firmware once and two times when I installed updated arturia usb driver and I did not immediately restart computer after install was finished (sounds did work but there was driver error message on mixers screen). After computer reboot everything works normally.

I am using latest Ableton live 11.1.1, with Model 12 1.30 firmware under windows 10 latest version with asio and 44100 - 512 as my driver settings. (My laptop is about 8 years old so windows 11 is not supported but I can still use couple instanses of complex vst plugins like Pigments 3.5 in addition of recording synths etc home music recording stuff).

Hope you manage fix your problem and get the Model 12 working.

-James

Last edited:
Hi James, thank you for the reply!

I sent the Model 12 back, too many little things I didn't gel with.

Even with the cable directly to the USB port that worked best, and windows tweaked for audio, the Tascam lost the connection rarely. While my other audio interfaces were fine even over a USB hub, no fussiness, they just worked.

I'm an audio software developer professionally, so the basics I do have down on setting stuff like this up...

In the end I chose to return it because:

1: With the computer it is really an 8 channel audio interface, not 12, and that's just too little, I need more. They should really be much clearer about that in their advertising.

2: In Ableton mode, they disable all sends, which means I cannot use it - I NEED my send returns.

I'm now waiting on a Livetrak L-20, hopefully it'll suit me needs better...

On the upside, I really enjoyed the standalone multitrack recording with the Model 12, I really hope the Zoom can compete on that.

Ok, totally understand if you keep getting into problems and I hope Livetrak works for you.

Everyone would like to capture music rather than troubleshoot...

I kind of see how you count it as 8 channel as 2 stereo + 6 mono + (master mix), that's how audio manufacturers have counted for a long time but I do agree, it is confusing.

I only use Multi Track Recording mode only and like you say it works well. Both standalone SD record and in Ableton Live with computer.

I can also recommend getting a simple footswitch to start/stop/undo recording whatever device one is using (if it supports those), keyboard and guitar is so much more easier to capture with it without needing extensive edits later.

New threads

Members online