Model 12 earthing problem

antonspon

Gear owned
Model 12 mixer/recorder
I recently purchased a Model 12 mixer so I'm still on a learning curve with it. However, I've been worried about the fact that the unit isn't earthed - I know from a safety aspect the voltages involved aren't dangerous, but there is an unpleasant sensation when I touch the metal parts while it's plugged in. Also, my electric bass gives me small shocks/tingles when I touch the strings while it is plugged into the Tascam. Can the unit be earthed in any way, or does anyone have an alternative solution? Thanks!

Welcome to the forum. I have the same problem with the DP-32SD. It seems a common problem with external power adapters - I have several which all 'leak' to varying degrees. I guess the official health & safety response is to replace the adapter, but you may get one just as bad, or worse.
I usually just make sure everything is earthed separately if it's an issue. With the DP-32, all the 1/4" jack screens appear to connect to the chassis, so if I plug an external earthed item into *any* socket, the chassis no longer tingles. The external item doesn't have to be switched on.
I've also found people vary in their sensitivity with detecting that tingling sensation (maybe it's how well insulated their shoes are!), and had a lot of trouble in the past convincing them I wasn't making it all up :)

Reactions: antonspon
Thanks, Phil - at least I know I'm not alone! I'll try the externally earthed appliance idea - so far I've only used guitars which are of course floating themselves...

Reactions: Phil Tipping

New threads

Members online

No members online now.