Model 12 export/import vs DP24

Stew71

From
UK
Gear owned
DP-24, DR-07, Model 12
Just getting to know my M12, having used a DP24 for a few years. There are some things I miss about the DP24 (chiefly: takes, dedicated bounce mode, some track edit features... and 12 more tracks!), although there are I'm discovering workarounds; but there are some things I really like about the M12 compared to the older model (chiefly: audio interface (works with my MPC Live), more efficient track transfer, much smaller footprint).

One of the things I prefer about the M12 is the ease of transferring tracks to and from a computer. For example - bouncing on the M12 and saving tracks/takes to a PC to free up space on the M12:
1) Record tracks 1-8 with a variety of sources - say kick, snare, hats, percussion 1, percussion 2, synth1, synth2, bass guitar
2) Mute all but rhythm section (tracks 1-5 and 8) and, having disarmed all individual tracks, play through on record (to create a 'bounce' on tracks 11/12)
3) Swap 11/12 with 9/10
4) Enter Storage mode so that Model 12 opens as a drive on my attached PC (NB: not attached as an audio interface at this point, purely as an external drive)
5) Open 'MTR' folder
6) Copy all recorded tracks to a folder on the PC (these can them be pulled into a DAW if desired, see below; or just saved as backup 'source tracks')
7) Eject Model 12 from PC
8) Close down Storage mode on Model 12
9) Clear tracks 1-5 and 8 (as these are now stored on the PC)
10) Using the bounce on 9/10, record new sources (say, several guitar takes) to tracks 1-5, 8

This process can be repeated and free things up quite nicely. There's no need to use the (fairly slow) Export Track function from the DP24, the M12 just seems to update the individual track WAVs (in the MTR folder) after each recording pass. This is much faster and more efficient (stem exports could take ages on the DP24. I used to record band rehearsals and it would sometimes take a couple of hours to 'cook').

Exporting track markers with WAV files:
I have also found that, pulling the stem tracks into Reaper at least, the track markers (from the M12) are indicated (as dotted vertical lines) on the track waveforms. This is really handy, although it seems slightly glitchy, in that the markers are slightly behind the bar lines (they were placed on the bar in the M12). However the audio is fine, and by snapping Reaper to 'bar' then I can quickly place the markers there in the same locations as on the Model 12.

And working the other way - creating an edit/bounce of individual tracks on the PC and importing back to M12:
1) Having pulled individual WAVs of 3 guitar tracks into Reaper as above,
2) I tweak/edit the performances quickly in the DAW, create a 'guitars' group, and render that as a stereo stem,
3) save it to the Model 12/MUSIC folder (ensuring the same sample rate and bit depth), and then
4) import that to tracks 7/8 on the Model 12 [tracks 7/8 need to be clear(ed) to do this, it won't let you import to a track which has data on it already].
I've now got two 'bus tracks' on the M12 (guitars on 7/8, rhythm on 9/10) and I've got space to record say vocal takes, with control of the relative mix of those elements.

It's all very slightly clunky, but as I said above, the process of swapping tracks (on the M12 and between M12/PC) is very fast. Pausing between musical 'jobs' to do this and create space for the next job isn't a bad thing for me anyway - a chance to take a breath and refresh the brain. And while I would love the 8 takes per track of the DP24, in practice this will limit me to say 4-6 takes, which is probably a useful boundary to work within and avoid diminishing returns!

Final thought: the only other things I'm missing about the DP24 at present: the lovely display screen (with it's little cartoon musical notes on startup), the ability to use the RC-3F footswitch, and, perhaps, a slightly superior build quality (the DP24 seems a tad more 'solid' to me; some of the small buttons on the M12 feel a little flimsy in comparison).

Reactions: Logrinn and -mjk-
At the risk of appearing completely narcissistic by keeping my own thread alive, I just wanted to add an obvious workaround for the track limit which I read earlier on Gearspace. Helpful tip, I thought, removing the need to interact with a computer to save your stems.

Someone asked:
On the Model 12 are you able to duplicate your sessions (does the menu have a duplicate function or a 'save as' function where I could use 6-8 inputs to record a drum track, leave it as is on the original session for later work in a DAW, save it as a another session where I mix the drums down to one of the stereo tracks [I know you have to mix it down to the main track then swap that track with one of the stereo tracks because the Model-12 SADLY lacks the bounce function], and then use the original 8 inputs to record other instruments) so I can work with all the stems in a DAW later on/don't lose the original stems forever when mixing down? I know that as a work around I could just plug my computer in and copy/duplicate the sessions manually in mounted disk/hardrive mode, but part of the reason I want the Model 12 is because when I record bands in in uncontrolled environments iit is more fluid to twist knobs/push buttons/do the odd menu dive while tracking, and then mix in my daw later on.

Someone replied:
You want to record the drums using most if not all channels of the M12, then mix it to the main mix, duplicate the main mix, import it into a new song and record the other instruments using the free channels.
Easy. You don't need to duplicate the session.
1. You just mix the drums on "Song1". Then there is a menue item: Export stereo-mix.
Done.
2. You create a new song Song2. The first thing you do: under the menue-item track, there is the entry "import track". You most likely import your drum mix to one of the stereo-channels 7/8 or 9/10. Now you can record the other tracks.

@Stew71 we all keep learning and exploring. It's not narcissistic to keep the thread alive, lol.

These kinds of techniques, where you do some level of production all the way through to finished tracks and then import them back to a new project, is not new. That goes back to the early days of music production. Amateur/home recordists may not have been exposed to that concept/workflow.

I posted some DP-centric techniques that may have some valuable crossover use for the Model series:

Mixing Mixes (as opposed to individual tracks)
https://www.tascamforums.com/posts/29234/

Making Perfect Submixes ("Stems")
https://www.tascamforums.com/posts/36270/

The next post describes making custom songs for specific production purposes. This will not be as useful on the lower track Models.

Custom Songs
https://www.tascamforums.com/posts/33775/

Now who's being narcissistic? lol

btw, this is similar to making sub-projects in a DAW.

Reactions: Stew71

New threads

Members online

No members online now.