Model 12 Input Channels 7/8 and 9/10

Squidly

Gear owned
Model 12 & 388
Hi all,
I'm sure this has been discussed elsewhere in the forum but just spent a bunch of time searching and couldn't find it. I apologize up front for redundancy.

I'm trying to understand the full range of possibilities with these stereo inputs on the Model 12. I'm recording a live band and could use all 10 channels as mic inputs (yes, should have bought the model 16 or 24 but like the compact 12).
Recently, I plugged a mic cable into channel 7 to record a guitar amp and used the 1/4" FX send out from the bass amp into track 8 (ie, had a low impedance mic cable in the L and 1/4" line level in the R). It worked great. Wondering about others' experience using a mic cable on the L side and line cable on the R and maybe some thoughts on best practices. Also, what about using a microphone in Channel 8 but with a male TRS cable.
What is the full range of possibilities here?

Longer term, I'm thinking of getting a Tascam 4x4HR and using it as a pre-amp for channels 7-10 to get high quality mic inputs in all 10 channels. And, I could also use it at home to add 4 additional tracking channels per this video -

Thanks for any/all input!

The Left and Right channels on inputs 7/8 and 9/10 have separate input buffers/amplifiers. So, they can be used with different source types, since they’re being brought to the mixer’s internal line level separately. Note that only the “odd” 1/4in jack (the one in the combo jack) can be used for Instrument level sources. The “even” input is line level only.

Reactions: Squidly
Hi William. Thanks so much. Super helpful. Does that mean that if I plug a low impedance mic in 7 and a line level item into 8, I'll have ok results recording to the SD card? This seemed to go reasonably well in my last live recording as I used all 8 mic inputs with mics and then went out of the effect send of the bass head and same from the acoustic guitar pre-amp in order to get a line level signal for the 2 channels.

Yeah, that will work fine. You’ll have to adjust the gain on your line level inputs using the source output level (acoustic preamp volume knob for example) to balance it with the mic level. But if you set the mic gain first at the mixer, you should get good results without much struggle.

New threads

Members online