Model 12 - mixdown with an outboard mastering effect?

LuKeNuKuM

Gear owned
424MKII
Hi all,

Been reading the manual and checking through the forum but couldn't find it.

Am I right in thinking to perform a rough master on the SD mixdown with an outboard effect box I'd need to connect the unit from an aux and then back in to a pair of channels then assign the effect to each of the remaining channels? OR is is possible to somehow connect and send the effect to the main out (mixdown) only?

TIA!

Luke

Must not have checked very hard ;)

https://www.tascamforums.com/threads/using-outboard-gear-with-the-model-24.8292/

https://www.tascamforums.com/threads/main-l-r-mix-insert.8282

On the Model 12, other than the "insert" jacks on channels 1 and 2, there are no effects inserts for outboard effects and you need to use a channel.

Basically you need to

1) send all your desired outboard-effect channels to SUB rather than MAIN,
2) output SUB to effect,
3) bring it back in on a new (empty) channel, presumably a stereo one; and then
4) Send that channel (together with all other channels which you want to record, and which don't go through the external effect) to MAIN.

Using Sub will allow for stereo send and return. Also it will preserve the ability to send any channels through the INTERNAL effects, including the ones which you are already sending in and out via the SUB bus.

You can also use AUX1 (if it's a mono effects send.) Or you can use the AUx1+Aux2 combo if it's stereo and if you don't care about using internal effects (when you use Aux2 output on the Model 12, it disables the internal effects.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Freebird
In all fairness, I take responsibility for not having created a sticky thread "New Members Please Read This" with search instructions like I did for the Digital Portastudios forum. I'll get to that as soon as I can. There is considerable traffic in this forum now.

Edit: Added thread with 1st post about how to search the forum.

I'm open to any suggestions about what needs to be in that thread relative to newbies with the Model series. Please feel free to DM me using the "Conversations" system (the envelope icon).

Last edited:
@JSchmo_Bass While you have both units on your desk, I would be very interested in hearing the results of using one of the units as an external FX processor for the other unit: e. g. sending a bus from the 12 to the 16 for adding FX from the 16's engine, and then back into the 12. Even using the 12 as a sub-mixer into the 16 for more tracks would be interesting. Seems like a useful way to extend the track count, maintain DAW control, get extra FX capability and have analog coloring where you need it, or not. You could do a full drum kit mic-up with the 12 and send the whole mix to the 16 and still have the rest of the 16's compliment of tracks - plus have the 16's FX engine free for the tracks on the 16. The only thing I am not sure of is how the 2 ASIO USB interfaces would play together. As an owner of both a digital and analog console in my studio, I can say that having the analog console available for outboard processing can make an incredible difference on certain tracks.

Hmm Very interesting ideas (although slightly scary as this may lead further me down the path of keeping both units... a thought that has already crept into my mind ...).

I will try these after I finish the basic comparisons and try some tracking.

I can report that the sequential switching of the USB’s is flawless- the Tascam Asio driver and app instantly recognizes either device and there is no issue connecting to the DAW. Also moving the USB card back and forth is utterly seamless and VERY easy to do.

I’ve also already done some very basic comparisons of mixing down from the exact same tracks (7 tracks on the SD card, captured via the M12) using same mixer settings, which I will post over the weekend.

Reactions: Freebird and -mjk-
Very interesting INDEED! If I don't watch myself very carefully I might be tempted to end up with both a Model 24 AND Model 12. Will follow this thread with great interest.:geek:

Reactions: -mjk-
https://www.tascamforums.com/threads/main-l-r-mix-insert.8282

Ahh, I thank you for the links - I did see the former one in the list (I just scrolled through the pages) but I should have read it a second time to 'get it'. Will try harder! :)

On the Model 12, other than the "insert" jacks on channels 1 and 2, there are no effects inserts for outboard effects and you need to use a channel.

Basically you need to

1) send all your desired outboard-effect channels to SUB rather than MAIN,
2) output SUB to effect,
3) bring it back in on a new (empty) channel, presumably a stereo one; and then
4) Send that channel (together with all other channels which you want to record, and which don't go through the external effect) to MAIN.

Using Sub will allow for stereo send and return. Also it will preserve the ability to send any channels through the INTERNAL effects, including the ones which you are already sending in and out via the SUB bus.

You can also use AUX1 (if it's a mono effects send.) Or you can use the AUx1+Aux2 combo if it's stereo and if you don't care about using internal effects (when you use Aux2 output on the Model 12, it disables the internal effects.)

Thank you very much for the summary, this routing makes perfect sense! couldn't see the wood for the trees. Thanks also for the bonus point about using aux 1/2.

Cheers,

Luke

Reactions: -mjk-
If I don't watch myself very carefully I might be tempted to end up with both a Model 24 AND Model 12.
Give it up @Freebird, anyone reading these threads knows you will keep both units! :LOL:

Reactions: Freebird and -mjk-
ArjanP said:
"Give it up @Freebird, anyone reading these threads knows you will keep both units!"

Give it up...? Absolutely not! Actually... I'm thinking of getting a DP-32 also to be able to use those mysterious and magic "virtual channels" it seem to have. So I might end up with both Model 12, Model 24 and a DP-32.:geek:

As the saying goes:
"The person with most faders, knobs and jog-wheels when he dies are the winner of the game!":LOL:

Reactions: -mjk- and Arjan P

New threads

Members online

No members online now.